iPad Pro iPad Pro's bending issue (merged)

alpi123

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2014
I did. PayPal claim as well. Buyer agreed to refund but if I can get it replaced it’s worth trying. Price was great.

thing has been overheating when charging so maybe I can use that as a warranty replacement.
Why not just go there and ask? Though, I believe if you don't have AC+ you'd have to pay the price for a replacement device. I know people say they will deny because of "user error" but I've seen a lot of cases where they replace it.

Arctic Moose

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
There’s absolutely no scientific information on how precisely how much effort it takes to permanently deform an iPad Pro. If someone were to perform such a test, then we’d know exactly how much effort is required to permanently deform an iPad Pro. Then, we can discuss and consider if that much effort should be thought of as “normal every day use”.

The only thing that we can say is inarguably true, is that every bent iPad Pro (that was not bent new in box) most likely experienced an amount of pressure that would be required to permanently deform an iPad Pro (a few may have been bent by mystical or other means?). Apple considers that much pressure outside of normal every day use. And, we also infer that there are iPad Pro’s that have not been subjected to that amount of pressure and, as a result, are not bent.
After my second replacement I only used the iPad at a desk in a locked office that only I use. Unless there are mystical bending gnomes messing with my electronics at night, the effort required did not exceed the force of my reasonably average fingers holding the device while touching the surface.

(My best guess is that temperature differences during charging and processor stress caused it to "magically" bend. I don't really care what caused it, all I need to know is that the design is flawed well beyond what is acceptable for how I need to use a mobile computing device.)

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
After my second replacement I only used the iPad at a desk in a locked office that only I use. Unless there are mystical bending gnomes messing with my electronics at night, the effort required did not exceed the force of my reasonably average fingers holding the device while touching the surface.

(My best guess is that temperature differences during charging and processor stress caused it to "magically" bend. I don't really care what caused it, all I need to know is that the design is flawed well beyond what is acceptable for how I need to use a mobile computing device.)
This was my point! if these iPads are bending without much force at all (pretty much everyday use) then there must be an issue. I have an iPad Pro 2017, it doesn't just bend on it's own, I have put it into bags, taken it through airport security, used it on airplanes and so on. It is in no way bent.

with the next gen I do wonder if Apple will make them tougher and reinforce the structure somehow. For a device that's portable and as thin as these iPads are, they do need to be tough and at least to stand up to daily use.

Arctic Moose

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I have an iPad Pro 2017, it doesn't just bend on it's own, I have put it into bags, taken it through airport security, used it on airplanes and so on. It is in no way bent.
So did I (if the 2017 was the 10.5”, which is what I had) and I mistreated it in all sorts of ways and never had any issues.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
if these iPads are bending without much force at all (pretty much everyday use) then there must be an issue.
IF, yes. But the ”if” requires proof, and there’s no scientific study been performed on how much force is required to bend OR in what way does proper use of the charger cause warping/bending? Depending on the customer, Apple MAY take your word for it, may not.

I have an iPad Pro 2018 that doesn't just bend on it's own. I have put it into a backpack daily, taken it through airport security, used it on airplanes and so on. It is in no way bent. BUT that’s not a scientific analysis, that’s just another anecdote that doesn’t help the folks sitting there with bent iPad Pro’s.