iPad ruined my iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iCarabma, Mar 30, 2012.

1. iCarabma macrumors 6502

I've had an iPhone since launch day in 2007. Over the years, the only model I haven't owned was the iPhone 3G.

I love(d) my iPhone. Used it for everything. During a couple months while I was between macs it was tolarable because of my old trusting 4S.

But in the two weeks since I've had my iPad (the 3rd gen is my first) I have found my iPhone unusable. So tiny.

I was one of the many who would rail against when people would suggest that apple needed to make A bigger iPhone, but now I'm not so sure. I would be interested in some more real estate.

I'm not predicting that Apple will do this. I know all the reasons that 3.5 makes sense. But i won't be shocked if the move up. And it is interesting how perspectives change.

2. ap3604, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I feel like that's almost the point of having an iPad--it's size makes it suitable for different tasks. I'm curious, though, what do you prefer to do on the iPad instead of the iPhone?

4. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Sorry but the iPad is not meant to replace your phone. Use your iPad as an iPad and your phone as a phone and you'll be fine.

5. sekazi macrumors 6502

One thing I have found out is my iPhone is never dead by the end of the day since I bought a iPad. 3rd Gen is also my first iPad.

6. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I agree with the op. having an iPad has made me realize how worthless the 3.5" iPhone is for browsing and gaming.

7. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I think the OP is just stating that it's a significant transition from the iPad to the iPhone. I too experienced this when when we got iPads last year. I spent about 4 or 5 hours on the iPad then picked up my iPhone and was like "wow, this screen is so tiny...can't believe I've never notice this before."

To this end, a bigger iPhone screen without sacrificing the footprint size would be a nice option.

I still use my iPhone almost exclusively, but the transition from an iPad to the iPhone is dramatic.

8. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Got my first ipad last year but didnt have these "problem" , i still prefer using tapatalk on my iphone plus twitter among other things ; now the iwork suite is awesome on ipad , skype is great and with a smartcover even better.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm in the camp of those who'd like to see a larger iPhone screen, but still plan on buying an iPhone5 even if the screen is the same size as the 4. I've always said, and why I've avoided buying a smart phone in the past, if I want to do serious computer stuff it will be on my Mac, not my phone and probably not on an iPad either.

10. elmo151 Guest

gives an idea about responders :apple: knowledge and experience

11. Sunsean macrumors 6502

As an android phone user, I had been recently itching to get a mobile ios device, since I am on a mac at home (and have been for years) - so I went out and got the new ipad. Loved it. But then I was like "but I'm not going to ALWAYS want to carry around the ipad" - so I went out to buy an ipod touch for those times when I wanted to travel light. And then it hit me - the big 'duh' moment. JUST GET AN IPHONE. So that's what I'm doing. Wound up returning the ipad and switching from android to iphone, and very happy with my decision so far.

I guess in my case, my iphone ruined my ipad. :p

It's said all the time, but it's the truth: the ipad is, operationally, exactly the same as iphone (not talking specs, like RAM, etc). IT JUST HAS A BIGGER SCREEN. There's nothing you can do on ipad that you can't do on an iphone, you can just do it with the luxury of the larger screen. For me, I decided an iphone was enough for the time being. I enjoyed my time with the ipad, and can definitely see getting one down the road. But the ultimate point, for me, of the ipad would be to enable myself to be more productive with the larger screen, for garageband, writing, spreadsheets, etc. But at that point, I would seriously consider a MB air - because if we're talking about practicality and function and power it can run circles around an ipad.

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I can totally see this happening to me too once I get an iPad.

13. wc17 macrumors member

The same thing happened to me...for about 2 weeks...

Unless you carry your iPad everywhere you go youll get over it...

14. Mikekan macrumors regular

I sold my iPhone when I bought an iPad, I found it to be useless.

15. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Sarcasm?

The iPhone is hardly worthless for web browsing and gaming, sure it's comparatively small, but the device is foremost a phone, the fact that it can also do these tasks well is good enough for most people.

16. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

So.....do you have another phone now?

17. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I have a Macbook Pro, 27" ACD, iPad 3 LTE, and iPhone 4S.

I used to have a 27" iMac, Macbook Air 13", iPhone. But with new setup I'm a lot more flexible and portable. I love my iPhone...I don't NEED it but would have a hard time giving it up. But I'd much rather use my iPad then my iPhone for almost anything other than texting or making phone calls. :D

18. Mikekan macrumors regular

Yes a used HTC HD2, all I wanted is radio, good camera and some browsing every now and then....

19. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

But you can still do those things on an iPhone (and your iPad)....

20. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

I am having a love/hate relationship with this 4s I got last week. Love most things about iOS and how great the screen looks, hate how small it is. After using my iPad or even the Note, the iPhone feels ridiculously small for anything but calling and texting. I don't even bother web browsing, watching movies or playing games with it anymore.

21. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

Same here playing games on my iPhone feels lame now. I still browse the net and use twitter on iPhone.

22. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Bahaha Samsung Note. So silly....might as well make calls on the iPad.

I would like to see the next iPhone have a slightly bigger screen while maintaining a retina display. 4G would be nice as well...

23. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

yea, because millions of people are buying it to make calls :rolleyes: Its not being marketed as a "phone". Its a great mobile device that also makes calls. If its that big a deal, I got one word for you...Bluetooth.

24. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Going from a 4.5" galaxy s2 screen to the 3.5" on the iphone was a big switch (I think those are the sizes...), but for my needs I like the iphone screen. I'm more in the camp of a phone staying relatively compact because, it is a phone. Ideally what I'd like to see in the next iphone is same or minimally larger physical body, with a bigger screen, 3.8-4". If the iphone were just a *little* wider and didn't have the huge borders on top/bottom, the screen could be much bigger without adding a lot of bulk to the phone.

25. Mikekan macrumors regular

Of course, but I saved 300$! :D