iPad + Verizon mi-fi is out now. Are you happy now, AT&T haters?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hcho3, Oct 28, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Any AT&T haters who waited and waited for Verizon iPad and signed up for iPad + Verizon Mi-fi deal?

I would love to hear your experiences. Too bad, Verizon doesn't offer unlimited data on iPad...

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Neither does AT&T. Also, the whole Mi-Fi + iPad was really Sprint's idea, not Verizon's. Also, like many other users have pointed out. Buying a Verizon bundled iPad is the worst idea possible. No GPS, poor battery life on the Mi-Fi and slower 3G connection.

3. DWIM macrumors newbie

AT&T haters...? Nah. Why waste the energy? Been using my MiFi since I got my ipad (early adopter), works great when I want to use the ipad. Or my Air. Or my wife's Air. Or the W7 PC laptop. Depends on what's needed, when, and why. Data usage limits are not that much of an issue to me; switch to 'regular' WiFi during travel when it's 'freely' available anyway.

4. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Just a few bucks cheaper monthly but, it would be more convenient to have a 3G iPad with gps instead of carrying around extra accessories.

5. LinMac macrumors 65816

I would rather have an iSpot from Clearwire. $25 for unlimited and it can be easily hacked to work with your laptops. A much much better deal than what we're seeing out of Verizon.

6. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

I have the Clear Spot 4G+ and it's great. If you live in a 4G area, it is the best deal I think. I live about 30 minutes north of Philly and we've got 4G speeds and it's pretty cool. I'm in Disney World right now with only 3G. Orlando has 4G but the resort area does not. It's nice to have the fail-over to 3G option with the 4G+ but the iSpot is the way to go if you are in a 4G area.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I opted for the Virgin Mobile MiFi for 40 a month just for better 3G coverage but it's another option.

8. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Agreed. I have the Sprint Overdrive version and do the same thing in Atlanta (and these last 2 weeks in Philly since I'm here for work...) I've been using my iPad this way since June and love it. Yes it can be a bit annoying waiting for the Overdrive to boot up some times, but the fact that I can pay 1 data plan and use it with my iPad, iPhone AND Macbook all at the same time makes it SOOOO worthwhile... I've never even turned on the 3G on my iPad.

9. hexhead macrumors member

You left out having to carry a 2nd piece with you. Kind of destroys the all in one convenience of the 3G model. And it's the same price as the 3G. FAIL.

10. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I've been using my Wifi iPad with my Verizon MiFi account for almost 6 months now.

What kind of fool was "waiting" for this to happen?

11. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

I wouldn't call that a fail, in WI where i live the closest 3g att tower is 4 hours away, and Verizon has my whole state covered in 3g. the edge network is the fail

12. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I've been considering getting this. The $25 unlimited is very tempting, but I didn't know anyone that used it. So you would recommend it?

14. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Lol, I've been doing the same thing. Some folks act as if this is something new that you can do. I guess since they give a slight discount it's "new". IMO it would be better to buy a 3G model from apple and get the mifi service separate. If you go to sell it your potential buyer base just doubled.

15. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

While I agree that resale value goes up with a 3G iPad, I don't usually spend more on the off chance something is going to be worth a little more when I sell it. I buy what I need.

With a MiFi, all the devices in my sig line work whenever I travel. Yes, I know if I jailbreak and grab MiWi or whatever its called I may get similar results without the added cost of a MiFi. But I bought an external battery for my MiFi and it powers it for up to 12 hours. It goes into my backpack, the MiFi gets plugged in and turned on when I leave the house in the morning and all day long I've got a "Wifi bubble" around me so I never have to worry about doing anything other than just turning on my devices. Works fantastic.