Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Hi.

Haven't exactly gotten my first tablet yet. I want to use one mainly for media consumption/bsing. I plan to get a Macbook Pro next year, so...has anyone used both the Galaxy Tab S and iPad Air? Everyone keep saying the iPad is the best tablet, but is it mainly because of the apps? Also, I'm getting a 6 Plus so will I be missing much by not getting the iPad Air?

Maybe I should of said this earlier but here's my current situation: I plan on selling my Note 3 to get an iPhone 6 Plus. Then I plan on getting a Macbook Pro. I love iOS as a phone device, but not sure on the tablet enviornment. The Galaxy Tab S has been getting rave reviews (but I really might wait on the Note 2015 as I like the S PEN), but I'm concerned with the lack of tablet apps (optimized).

Or perhaps I should just wait on a tablet...

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I've got the tab pro 10.1 which is the basically the galaxy tab S minus the amoled display. I also have an ipad air (cousin has taken to Australia) . I prefer the tab pro for a few reasons:

Better aspect ratio for watching videos
Better display
Multi window
Better speakers
Ability to use with external devices E. G usb pen drives
Expandable memory
General preference for Android
Integrated better with my Galaxy S5

However having said all of that, the iPad Air is a great device with awsome battery life. If you are getting an iPhone and Mac book I think it makes sense to get an ipad as they will integrate well together and you can really take advantage of continuity.

muy picante

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
I prefer tab s to ipad - constant refresh in safari made me mad (but that's just my problem).

Screens are not comparable - oled is totally different league, especially at night and you don't have those two thick grey bars when watching films on tab s (yes, they are there, but they merge with borders and are completely blank) compared to ipad due to screen aspect ratio.

My advice - buy both and return one that sucks for you.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Depends of apps is your number thing. As apps are better on ipad. I think you can do Alot more on tabs and Note Pro for example. Depends on your needs really. Both fantastic options.

I've been tempted by the Tab S 8.4 but waiting out for the next note 8 inch addition.

Naramis

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2013
Overall I think the iPad is a better tablet.

But if watching videos is your main thing, the Galaxy is definitely better for that.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I might have to buy both. I'm a sucker for the inky Super AMOLED blacks. Really pushing towards the Galaxy BUT apps seem to be better built and more stable on iPad. Meh.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I've got the tab pro 10.1 which is the basically the galaxy tab S minus the amoled display.
You've got the S Pen however where the Galaxy S doesn't.. I have the Tab S 10.1, and I do miss that pen when my Phone is a Note 3

as The Game 161 said the S screen is stunning. I returned a current generation iPad Air and have no regrets.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You've got the S Pen however where the Galaxy S doesn't.. I have the Tab S 10.1, and I do miss that pen when my Phone is a Note 3

as The Game 161 said the S screen is stunning. I returned a current generation iPad Air and have no regrets.
The no a pen is the only reason I haven't bought the s tab. Think they are great tablets.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

My Tab is the tab pro. It doesn't have an S Pen. It's the note pro line that has the S Pen.

pixelzombie

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2013
Hi.

Haven't exactly gotten my first tablet yet. I want to use one mainly for media consumption/bsing. I plan to get a Macbook Pro next year, so...has anyone used both the Galaxy Tab S and iPad Air? Everyone keep saying the iPad is the best tablet, but is it mainly because of the apps? Also, I'm getting a 6 Plus so will I be missing much by not getting the iPad Air?

Maybe I should of said this earlier but here's my current situation: I plan on selling my Note 3 to get an iPhone 6 Plus. Then I plan on getting a Macbook Pro. I love iOS as a phone device, but not sure on the tablet environment. The Galaxy Tab S has been getting rave reviews (but I really might wait on the Note 2015 as I like the S PEN), but I'm concerned with the lack of tablet apps (optimized).

Or perhaps I should just wait on a tablet...

I've had both and switched back and forth between both ecosystems. If you plan to do the iphone/macbook thing, prob an ipad is the best choice. Do you need an ipad if you have an iphone? Only if you want certain apps that are ipad only. Honestly the only thing the ipad has going for it is the apps. There's nothing else unique about the tablet honestly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.