iPad was stolen last night....if I buy another, is there any insurance against theft?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Captain America, Dec 31, 2011.

1. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Isn't that what homeowner's or renter's insurance is for?

B

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Buy two!

3. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

I honestly don't know much about that, I'm 20 and don't have any of that personally.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Then you may already be covered by their insurance. If they don't have it you may want to suggest they look into it.

B

7. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

So assuming we do have it, am I covered even though it's in my name and it was stolen outside of the home at my job?

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Depends on the details of the policy. Your policy may also have a deductible that may be about as large as a replacement iPad. e.g. $500.

B

9. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. Thanks for the info. And for future reference, is there any insurance that I can purchase (aside from homeowners) to protect it?

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I think the deductable can exceed that of the ipad cost?

OP: Most CC have insurance for things of this nature as well

11. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

Most CC?

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

credit cards. Look at the benefits they offer if you purchase via them. Alot have theft/damage protection, alot have additional years of warranty over say apples 1 year default, price match, etc

13. chown33 macrumors 604

Credit Cards.

Some credit cards have limited insurance plans for things bought using the card. Contact your issuer. Or whoever bought the device. If it was on a credit card.

14. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately I paid with cash.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Then aside from homeowners insurance, where the deductable may be more than the claim (not to mention a corresponding rise in rates), you may just have to eat it. I would not even bother with a claim on home owners personally as companies can drop you for multiple little claims over time. I would reserve that for if your house burns down or you get robbed, etc.

If you buy another, I would got get a CC to pay for it or look out and buy an insurance policy on that specific item. Most insurance companies offer something to do this.

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sounds like the insurance thing is not worth it. If you parents home owners did cover it the deductable would be close to the cost and the insurance company will possibly raise their rates for a claim.

17. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

So I'll eat this unfortunate loss and go from there. Are there any companies that definitely offer theft/loss protection?

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I did mention that already, but it really does depend on the policy. I always used to have a separate computer rider on my renter's policy that had a lower deductible ($100) and replacement cost coverage. Never had to use it.

A specific policy that only covers the iPad will likely cost you a decent portion of what it would take to cover all of your possessions with a special provision/rider for the iPad or other electronics.

B

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yea, I saw that as I continued reading:eek:

Regardless, I try to avoid insurance claims. They are meant for dire circumstances in my eyes and not petty issues, which is what I would consider an ipad to be in the big scheme of things...at least in regards to homeowners.

Insurance is tricky, you get it to cover you but you don't want to abuse it as rates will go up and you can get dropped and have a hard time finding a company to take you on.

OP.. did you have find my iphone installed on it?

20. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

21. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. We were able to track him for a while but he seems to have wised up and turned it off/3g off/etc. The last location I have on him is like the mile wide radius which isn't of much help. I've contacted one pawn shop just in case and plan on calling another later. I've also put something on Craigslist of the hell of it to discourage people from buying it.

22. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

I have heard you can notify apple that it was stolen and if its taken to an apple store they will hold it.. Not 100% sure if this is true though

Since you are a student living with parents (assuming your under the age 25 and in the us) most large insurance companies will cover theft however also depending on what kind of policy your parents have the deductible could be high

One last thing, if it was stolen from your car your car insurance may also cover the theft :)
    Contact the police if you haven't already. You never know what might happen
    Good luck :)

23. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

1. I could always contact them although I doubt they would bring it to an Apple store
    2. Yup, I'm 20 and in the US.
    3. By insurance companies are you referring to homeowners?
    4. Stolen from my counter at work.
    5. Police were contacted, report filed.

24. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

FYI, I had a laptop stolen from my car, and according to Allstate auto insurance only covers things attached to the vehicle. (i.e. A stereo) I'm in Texas and it may vary from state to state.