iPad2 3G: What's the cheapest carrier/Sim card I can put in besides At&t and Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by srcstc, Jan 7, 2012.

1. srcstc macrumors member

Trying to decide whether to get the At&t iPad 2 or the Verizon and which carrier.

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Just call or visit both and ask how much they charge and what kind of plans they offer.

I use ATT but only because my company pays for the plan. In the end both will be close to the same as they compete with each other. Which gives the best coverage where you will be using you Pad is most important. 3G access is not very fast if you are used to Wifi and 3G with poor coverage is a torture.

3. madfelon macrumors member

I used the nokia e71 sim from straight talk and was kicked off about 2 months later. They knew it was not a phone and they monitor data very close.

4. srcstc thread starter macrumors member

I know what they offer that's why I said "besides At&t and Verizon"
    I'd like to know if there are any other options. Does anyone use anything besides At&t and Verizon?
    I tried tmobile but they're even worse.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You might find cheaper but you would be risking loss of coverage. I am sure T-Mo might offer cheaper but who wants to go outside to be able to use their iPad.

:p

6. donnaw macrumors 65816

Well with a Verzipn iPad you have no choice as far as I know. I don't think you can configure it for another carrier.

For the iPad with the sim (normally called the AT&T iPad) it does take sims but you would need to talk to other carriers if they will offer a data only plan. As a previous poster mentioned, the iPad is not a phone so your carrier may note that and kick you off.

I would first check around and find other carriers in your area. Not all the smaller carriers operate in every area.

7. srcstc thread starter macrumors member

tmobile is even worse. $30 for 1gb... what a joke.