All Devices iPadOS - Now Recognizes iPhone As Ethernet When Wired

Discussion in 'iOS 13' started by musicpenguy, Jun 13, 2019 at 7:50 PM.

1. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

I wanted to share a cool discovery tonight. If you plug an iPhone into an iPad running iPadOS you’ll get an Ethernet setting in the Settings app. This did not show up when I tried it on an iPad running iOS 12.

I can not yet get the feature to work (my iPhone is running iOS 12 still) - can someone running iOS 13 and iPadOS test if they can get this to work. Could offer faster speeds than the traditional tethering does.

You do not have to enable Personal Hotspot on the iPhone for this option to appear on the iPad, you do need to authorize your iPhone to work with the iPad by entering your passcode, like you would when hooking up to a new Mac.

I checked the Files app and it doesn’t appear to show up there yet.

4CA5DBDF-DC32-45CB-8FF8-6F35575EB7EE.png 254EC11E-CADB-42E5-AA9B-D27E1164AFD3.jpeg

2. Ultracyclist macrumors regular

Ultracyclist

Does it also share the GPS?

3. illitrate23 macrumors 6502a

illitrate23

i'm not sure this is intentional. I suspect that is a symptom of it being beta 1 and rather than this being a feature that is extended further, it'll be fixed and won't happen like this in later betas

4. musicpenguy thread starter macrumors 65816

I’m not so sure ... the iPad is being recognized by the iPhone as a full computer and I think that is the direction Apple is headed with treating the iPad, but time will tell!