iPhone 1.0\iPod Touch 1.0 Chargers & Accessories DONT work with GEN 2!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by bella92108, Sep 14, 2008.

1. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Oh Apple, you disappoint me.

I have a Klipsch iGroove and a couple chargers for the iPod. I had the Touch and then when the new touches came out I upgraded.

On the old touch, I could put it in the cradle on the iGroove and it worked great, it charged it and the music played fine. Now the new REV 2 iPod touch won't charge on it, it says "Not capable of charging"... sad after a Nano Gen 2, then Gen 3, a Gen 5 Video then a Touch, never had an issue then apple changed it up, now it doesn't work! Be forewarned... I wouldn't have traded up had I known.

SAD.

2. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Can anyone confirm if a Bose SoundDock charges or if this issue is going to affect ALL accessories until all the manufacturers redesign?

Thanks!

3. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Pretty sure the bose soundock does not charge.

The issue here is that these accessories charge via FireWire, which has been removed from the touch. I think a first gen iPhone charger should work, however, as will any charger that charges via USB. So not ALL accessories have been affected, only older accessories that use the FireWire charging protocol.

4. Nyi28nhl macrumors newbie

5. gtpsrock macrumors newbie

I would place a lot of money it that it will not work.

We have a VW GTI with a factory $200 iPod adapter, and it won't charge with this new Gen2 touch either. What a freaking crock of.... My wifes Nano and Touch Gen1 both worked fine. The functions of the iPod adapter work, it just won't charge.

Well, my first iPod is this new gen2 touch (yah, I've avoided them this long, and this doesn't make me very happy).

Sound like Apple is joining the uber-GREED of Verizon B.S. tactics! :mad:

6. BrewMan macrumors newbie

my 2nd gen and my ihome are getting along perfectly.

7. GT41 macrumors regular

I cannot confirm any of your problems, however I did find it funny that they even bothered to keep the FW power ports connected after Gen 2 regular iPods. I'd guess they save themselves a few cents by not connecting those two pins on the dock connector.
    I think it would be most interesting for those who have taken apart the new touches to confirm the wiring to the dock connector, not only for FW power but also for mic in and other little niceties that the old iPods had.

Sorry about your frustrations, but maybe someone can be creative and find a way to add a jumpover from FW to USB Power pins in the connectors. :)

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The 3rd Gen iPods would only charge via Firewire, plus when they came out, there was no USB 2.0 on the Macs at the time. I'm still ticked that they stopped the Firewire data access with the iPod 5G.

The reason they removed FW charging posibilities from the iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G was the heat generated was causing problems with the originals, and it is cheaper to get a longer lasting battery that only operates at one voltage safely, instead of the old one that just got so hot when charging over 12V.

TEG

9. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

Wait a minute. i charge mine at work using a FW (1st gen) are people saying here that this is bad for my touch?

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Not really bad (otherwise it would be disconnected) but not advised. The real problem was people complaining and trying to return their iPhones because of the heat caused by charging through FW. I do it with my iPhone, and it works just fine.

TEG

11. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

This is the first time I have ever heard this claim. I have been charging my 1st gen for nearly a year every night with my 3G iPod's Firewire brick and have seen no issues, and the unit does NOT get hot charging this way.

The Reason they removed FW charging is because FireWire is no longer supported on iPods, and it hasn't been for some time. Apple gave accessory makers ample time--THREE generations, if I remember, perhaps four, to switch over to USB charging. Removing the capability saves money and space.

12. swarmster macrumors 6502a

swarmster

Okay, so my OnStage 2 won't charge my Touch because it's applying 12V? Does that mean leaving my Touch in there playing music will damage it? It can't be good to be applying 12V to parts designed for 5V for extended periods of time.

13. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

The current Sony FM/AM Clock Radio at the Apple store works. Name is ICF-C1iPMK2, for some ridiculous reason. I just received it and tried it out. I was worried it wouldn't charge.

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It won't damage it: The 12v and 5v come over different pins and it looks as if the new iPod touch is the same as the iPhone 3G and doesn't have the components for 12v charging.
    So, no damage, but no charging either