iPhone 1/2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ShrubbySoup, Apr 7, 2012.

1. ShrubbySoup macrumors regular

ShrubbySoup

Hey guys I have a wp7 and I really want an iPhone, I have around £50 but can go up to £75 on a iPhone, I wanted an iPhone 1 but don't know where to get one, I have looked on eBay but their are all like 60/70£. Does anyone recommend a site to buy one from?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

try craigslist if you have it. it's pretty hard to pay less then something is worth. have to find somebody desperate to sell or doesn't know it's value. I will tell you pretty much any site selling phones cheap is a scam. and don't expect a early iPhone to compare to a more modern one.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Being that prices were listed in pounds and not dollars, I highly doubt craigslist is an option.

To the OP: If you are on WP7 you are going to be highly disappointed with a first generation iPhone. Not only will you not get 3G data, you will be on an OS that is 2 years outdated and that can't handle 90% of the apps on the appstore.

4. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

What 90% of the app store doesn't work??? Really?? yes there is stuff that won't work but all the major apps do work like Skype, twitter, whatsapp, angry birds, Facebook hell even sega all-star racing runs fine etc. But 3G is the thing I hate about most about my iPhone, wi-fi is still good but that 2G I'm on Vodafone but its still rubbish out and about I'm constantly hunting wi-fi. Also I run whited00r on my iPhone 2g (5 not 5.1 because they have changed some stuff and I don't like it) anyway runs real well on my 2g makes it look more like the newer iOS allows you to do MMS (picture messaging) and adds folders and a few other tweaks like battery percentages in the top bar also whitedoor runs faster than the standard apple iOS 3.1 e.g Driver was very laggy on my iPhone now it runs fine. The iPhone 2g is also a very good looking device I dare say better than the 4/4s and defiantly better than the 3g/3gs.

5. lordofthereef, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

^^^ Most of the graphically "intense" stuff doesn't work, which seems to be a lot of things now (you listed something like 10 apps... there are like half a million). I have also experienced tons of crashes on apps. The fact that you have facebook working well is impressive. Facebook has run like crap on all of my devices (admittedly this newer version has been great). I used dozens of iPhone 2Gs for a small business I ran, so my issues were not exclusive to one unit. In any case, in my opinion, if you are running a modern OS like Windows Phone 7, you will find a lot left to be desired by 3.1.3

6. chibiterasu, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

To be honest the only major things wrong with the iPhone 2g is hardware based like 3g, gps thats bumer my old £99 pound android phone did that. oh I must say this my iPhone 2g also has really good battery life with light use i get just about 2 days heavy use is one day. yes stuff like GTA III won't run but go and have a look at what other smart phones were out in 2007. But for some platforms (bb playbook) even the basics like e-bay and Skype aren't there so it could be worse.
    Take a look at the pic its what whitedoor looks like because iOS 3.1 does leave a lot to be desired like you can't change the background. Thanks for the comment about Facebook Ive even got it to work on 2g which is a miracle on the iPhone 2g :)

Attached Files:

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Whitedoor is nice looking, for sure. I did not mean to sound like I was ripping on the original iPhone. At the time it was great. The OP said he had a windows 7 phone. I simply wanted to point out that there may be some level of disappointment when comparing his current gen phone to a phone that was released half a decade ago.

8. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

I agree with you on that I think that even though I'm not keen on wp7 (i would buy android over wp7) there probably are quite features and overall speed of wp7 depending on what handset it is but then any wp7 would be faster. I don't know what it is when I've played on wp7 it seemed more limiting and even more walled garden than iOS. Obviously android is once again horribly fragmented which is a real shame (I give my friend hell about his galaxy nexus about only 2% of handsets on ICS) anyway it also depends if the op is on a Mac because wp7 won't play nice so that might be a reason he wants to change phone maybe??

9. totzIe macrumors newbie

I have both an iPhone gen 1 and an old HTC wildfire from 2009. The iPhone was a couple of years before the HTC, yet still find it more responsive and useful than a 2009-Anroid. ;)

Have you tried looking on Amazon for used iPhone 1st Gen-s?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPod-touch-Generation-MODEL/dp/B0012JCYPC (I bet they have some offers in the co.uk Amazon too).

10. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I've asked this in other threads but what is an iPhone 2G.... why do people keep referring to the first iPhone as iPhone 2G. Is it because it doesn't have 3G service?

As far as i know it is:
    iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3Gs
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4s

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Correct, the original was simply the "iPhone," but is commonly refereed to as the 2G given it's network speed.

12. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

As interstella mentioned, the original iPhone is often called the iPhone 2G because it operated on the second generation data network known as EDGE. Considering the fact that the term is very commonly used to refer to that model, there isn't much point in protesting. It's no different from calling the new iPad the iPad 3.

13. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Ok that's what i figured. I'm not really going to protest, but when people just say iPhone 2.... it just bugs me :p

I guess i can live with people calling it the iPhone 2G ;)