iPhone 11 iPhone 11: Are you happy with the camera lens combo? Or would you prefer a telephoto?

What camera setup would you prefer on the 11?

• I am happy with the Wide plus UltraWide combo.

Votes: 44 54.3%
  • I would prefer a Wide plus TelePhoto combo.

Votes: 37 45.7%

• Total voters

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Hello,

When the leaks where rolling, I was very excited and I wanted the iPhone 11 as na upgrade for my 8 Plus.
I don't need the oled screen and the other advantages the Pro phones have speak nothing to me.

I was certain I would buy the 11, as I always thought Apple would drop the novelty of the Ultrawide from the budget phone and offer it with a standard combo of wide plus 2x camera lenses.

But then the keynote came and they pulled a curve ball on me.

And so, I am forced to pay in excess of 300 euros to ugrade to a Pro phone as I use the 2X camera a lot on my 8 plus.

So with this in mind, I decided to cal out your own thoughts and opinions on the matter...

Cheers!

Pelea

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2014
The 2x reverse zoom camera is useless on all iPhones. If u look at apple’s official photos on Instagram the 2x reverse zoom causes a huge loss in quality. It’s not like the other 2x zoom which results in less quality loss

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
The 2x reverse zoom camera is useless on all iPhones. If u look at apple’s official photos on Instagram the 2x reverse zoom causes a huge loss in quality. It’s not like the other 2x zoom which results in less quality loss
I don’t understand what you are trying to say.
I use the 2x lens on my 8 plus all the time.
If I am shooting indoors in low light condition, it gives worse results than the main camera.
But outdoors in good light, the results are excellent!
And that is on my 8 Plus with a slower 2x lens and older sensor.

Reactions: nitschi

maerz001

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2010
I didn’t see a difference. Can u post a link?
And its called ultra wide

Mt44

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Yeah, this is not true.

The 2X works very well.

Reactions: infinitejest

vngannxx

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2009
The ultra-wide is better for general consumers because it is more versatile and can take group shots. The telephoto is more for photo enthusiasts.

Pelea

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2014
I don’t understand what you are trying to say.
I use the 2x lens on my 8 plus all the time.
If I am shooting indoors in low light condition, it gives worse results than the main camera.
But outdoors in good light, the results are excellent!
And that is on my 8 Plus with a slower 2x lens and older sensor.
—>go to instagram
—> look at the Recent Apple post that compares ultra wide/standard/zoomed in photos of the same picture
—> realize that the “ultra wide” photo has significantly degraded quality compared to the regular photo (zoom in on face)
—> proof that the 3rd camera is complete garbage that does nothing

vngannxx

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2009
The ultra-wide will be worse in low light due to the lack of OIS and smaller aperture compared to the two other cameras.

MacDevil7334

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
The ultra-wide will be worse in low light due to the lack of OIS and smaller aperture compared to the two other cameras.
It is technically true that the ultra-wide will do worse in low light than it would with OIS. However, we need to keep in mind that image stabilization becomes less necessary the wider your lens is. Many really wide DSLR lenses lack stabilization and it’s not an issue. The ultra-wide camera will not necessarily be a poor performer in low light just because it doesn’t have OIS. The smaller aperture will hurt it though. We’ll really just have to wait for the photo samples to see how it does.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
When I was into photography with lots of gear, I had a 12-24, a 24-70 and a 70-200 and some primes.
The 12-24 was nice for some creative shots.
But almost all everyday shots, portraits, family shots, and all that were taken with either the 24-70 or 70-200.
With that said, the ultra-wide will have that novelty factor and be very cool in the beginning.
But it will not be as useful or necessary as the 2x zoom.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
When I was into photography with lots of gear, I had a 12-24, a 24-70 and a 70-200 and some primes.
The 12-24 was nice for some creative shots.
But almost all everyday shots, portraits, family shots, and all that were taken with either the 24-70 or 70-200.
With that said, the ultra-wide will have that novelty factor and be very cool in the beginning.
But it will not be as useful or necessary as the 2x zoom.
Well then you would know better than I would. The iPhone 11 has everything I was hoping it would have and more. I was so close to picking this one especially since it came in one of my favorite shades of light green. But in the last couple of hours of finalizing my purchase decision I went with the 11 Pro even though I’m not a fan of Apple OLED displays due to migraines from them in the past. I may get migraines again and end up with the iPhone 11 anyway.

But coming down to passing up the option to have a 2x zoom lens again, I just couldn’t do it.

I have done okay on digital zooming on my Xr. But I do miss that lens from my 8 plus. I do have 3 lenses on my Note 10+ but I don’t always have that phone on me. I always have an iPhone on me these days.

ke-iron

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2014
I just looked at Apple Instagram photos and they all look fine to me, and is more than acceptable Instagram quality pictures. Obviously the full resolution picture on the phone would look better than what’s posted on instagram when zoomed in.

Reactions: nitschi and profets

Pelea

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2014
I just looked at Apple Instagram photos and they all look fine to me, and is more than acceptable Instagram quality pictures. Obviously the full resolution picture on the phone would look better than what’s posted on instagram when zoomed in.
this may be the most stupid thing I’ve read all year. It’s like saying:
“This lake is filled with floating dog poop, which u can see on the surface” and having this guy reply “actually this lake looks beautiful to me, I can’t see anything wrong with it”

the reverse zoom is objectively significantly worse as proven on Instagram, I don’t care what it looks like to u.

Normal pic
https://gyazo.com/8c4fa8fa467ef86c9d18cd8286d26da8

2x reverse zoom pic
https://gyazo.com/257312039026bd0cfd162209d14a2c76

ke-iron

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2014
“This lake is filled with floating dog poop, which u can see on the surface” and having this guy reply “actually this lake looks beautiful to me, I can’t see anything wrong with it”

the reverse zoom is objectively significantly worse as proven on Instagram, I don’t care what it looks like to u.

Normal pic

2x reverse zoom pic
So you expect a phone or camera to get the same level of detail in a persons face from a ultra wide lens vs a normal or telephoto lens that captures the details closer up?? You know what’s stupid? Your reply is.

mi7chy

macrumors 603
Oct 24, 2014
I can always zoom in with my feet but can't knock down walls when backed into one so wide angle is more useful.

Reactions: swandy

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
I can always zoom in with my feet but can't knock down walls when backed into one so wide angle is more useful.
Actually you can’t...
If you are taking pictures of people, you can zoom in with your feet to get an identical framing of the person in the frame.
But the perspective won’t be the same.
The facial features won’t be captured the same way and doing so with a wide angle makes portraits way less flattering.
For me it is a big no no.

Reactions: maerz001

mi7chy

macrumors 603
Oct 24, 2014
Try if you stand at the edge of a cliff, lake, bridge...
2x optical zoom is rather limited even for these situations plus for scenery I tend to go wide to panoramic otherwise can crop in or unwanted out.

Sarngate

macrumors regular
May 15, 2010

Normal pic

2x reverse zoom pic
Please tell me you’re not actually this dense...

Pelea

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2014
So you expect a phone or camera to get the same level of detail in a persons face from a ultra wide lens vs a normal or telephoto lens that captures the details closer up?? You know what’s stupid? Your reply is.
u obviously have 0 knowledge in science, not worth wasting more than 1 sentence on u.

maerz001

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2010
2x optical zoom is rather limited even for these situations plus for scenery I tend to go wide to panoramic otherwise can crop in or unwanted out.
Sure. But there is a difference between when u say always and tend to go...

Cropping will result in less quality/details. That’s why we have now 3 lenses to choose from and usage varies

Caliber26

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL

Normal pic

2x reverse zoom pic
Um, if you know ANYTHING about photography than I expect you to know and understand how bad Instagram is about image compression. The image quality on that platform is easily the worst.

Why don’t you go and zoom on the ultra wide shots shared on Apple’s actual website, instead.