Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Exclusive to 11. Requires the better cameras.

I don't think so. I don't think the pixels and lenses are all that much different. Might be the specific feature from apple is restricted to the new neural engine, but you can get apps with night mode for other iPhones. the Pixel has no better cameras either, all the night mode magic is software. I have an iPhone X and the iOS 13 beta - no night mode. But I can download apps if I wanted to use that.

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
It is most probably they want you to believe that and push it for commercial differentiation and selling points.

In reality the sensors are the same, it is most probably a software improvement of the low light digital photo, the hardware is mostly the same, they just want you to buy the new phone.
That's the way I'm leaning too but I know I'm biased towards being cynical at Apple's marketing pushes to make people want to spend hundreds on a new phone each year.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I don’t understand why that QuickTake video shortcut is an exclusive iPhone 11 feature, seems like an iOS 13 update to the camera app to me.

Reactions: TheDailyApple

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
11 is obviously the XR successor, but why not keep selling their inventory for another year and stretch their stack to cover the entire pricing spectrum.

I exchanged my XS Max for a XR early on. It was absolutely the right call for me.

Reactions: aartstrik

blufire95

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
Germany
So Deep Fusion will also be on the standard 11? I thought it’s exclusive to the pro models but I've read different things.
I found it by myself, it will come to the 11 (non-Pro):
Deep Fusion, coming later this fall, is a new image processing system enabled by the Neural Engine of A13 Bionic. Deep Fusion uses advanced machine learning to do pixel-by-pixel processing of photos, optimizing for texture, details and noise in every part of the photo.
It’s advertised in the press release by Apple: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/09/apple-introduces-dual-camera-iphone-11/

whoknows2597

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2019
Here’s a good Night Mode solution for $2.99, I bought it for my iPhone X and it works really well:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/neuralcam-night-mode-camera/id1474856599

Quick test I did last night, standard Camera app vs NeuralCam:
View attachment 857465
Thanks for the suggestion! Hopefully this app works wonders at an outdoor concert for next week.

If it wasn’t for the blue color on the Xr and the fact that I purchased it in late July, I would upgrade to the Pro Max in midnight green.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion! Hopefully this app works wonders at an outdoor concert for next week.

If it wasn’t for the blue color on the Xr and the fact that I purchased it in late July, I would upgrade to the Pro Max in midnight green.

Installed and playing with it, its performance is great (like blown away Google version), but it asks you to hold still a few seconds (presumably while it grabs additional pictures to combine) - so not sure how it'll work in a moving mass - but for $2.99...

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
The fact that it starts at $699 with the specs it’s got makes this easily the best announcement from yesterday. A year later with XR and I’m loving the phone still, especially with all the improvements that came with iOS 13 like Quick Access and faster Face ID.

whoknows2597

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2019
The Xr also supports Dolby Atmos after updating to iOS 13.
I’m pretty sure support for Atmos requires a tweak in the hardware, given that it is spatial audio. The Xr supports wider stereo speakers while the 11/Pros support spatial.

If you could provide evidence to support, of course.

Reactions: Saipher

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I never understood the power efficiency gains in relation to battery

So the 11 with a13 has 40 percent efficiency gains but only yields one hour more battery (and that’s the marketing claim, too) with same screen and resolution and all the rest except a dual camera? How does that make any mathematical sense?

Still xr gets excellent battery life and I’d expect no less of the 11

Coconut Bean

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Does it though, or is that what Apple want you to believe? They were pushing how important AI was for many (if not all) of these "pro" features and if the competitors' night modes are anything to go by they're done through computation rather than "the latest lens that our old camera didn't have".

It is multiple and/or longer exposure images with much improved noise- reducing. Googles version is 'working' on a Nexus 5x with a fraction of this or previous years' iPhones performance but it is slow as hell. Taking image for 4-5 seconds then processing for around a minute.

It might be a somewhat worse user experience on older iPhones but it is theoretically possible.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018

As with Google’s Night Sight app, this is the sort of thing where you hold still for a few seconds while it takes multiple exposures, and processes them for the final result. Not good for anything moving. There’s another app called CortexCam that is for getting more detail out of a scene (also requires holding still), but NeuralCam actually sacrifices detail to get more exposure/brightness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sasparilla

Coconut Bean

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
I never understood the power efficiency gains in relation to battery

So the 11 with a13 has 40 percent efficiency gains but only yields one hour more battery (and that’s the marketing claim, too) with same screen and resolution and all the rest except a dual camera? How does that make any mathematical sense?

Still xr gets excellent battery life and I’d expect no less of the 11

The screens are the biggest power draw and they haven't gotten that much more efficient. Take an XR and 11 and have it laying around with only background services and you should get a 30%-40% increase of battery time.

Yogosans14

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina
I'm tempted to finally upgrade my 8 Plus and I'm tempted by the iPhone 11 but will I notice the difference with the lower resolution screen?
I upgraded from the 8 plus to the XR and I noticed the lower res so I returned it for the XS. The OLED panels are stunning and very sharp! Id recommend you go with the pro.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The screens are the biggest power draw and they haven't gotten that much more efficient. Take an XR and 11 and have it laying around with only background services and you should get a 30%-40% increase of battery time.

1 hour more !== 30-40% gain of battery life , is my point with all other specs being relatively the same most of all the screen Like you said. If that were the case it would be multiple hours better not a single hour. So some part of the claim has to be false. Both can’t be true. Apple is overselling efficiency gains, or being absurdly conservative in their estimates of battery gains. I tend to go with the first

...But if you think about it further, if OLED In Pro is in fact 15% more efficient than XS, and same a13 processor is in fact 40% more efficient AND they made the battery bigger to top it all (not sure about this but throwing it in because I can’t imagine the added 15% Efficiency is all the reason for multiple hour shift more) 4 hours more makes More sense to me at face value and wouldn’t be as sketchy of a claim

Last edited:
Reactions: Jedwardoo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.