Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Which did people go for if any then? Or still thinking?

Disappointed that some software features aren’t available on Xr, like QuickTake surely that’s software only?

I’m still thinking, I’m on IUP and so could just start again without hassle of selling. What I do miss is portrait from all cameras which the 11 will have.

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I have an XR. The only thing I want on the 11 is night mode. Not enough to upgrade. Feels good for once to skip, actually.
It would be very, very rare that the next version is much enough better to justify an upgrade. Unless you manage to sell yours for a good price. Most people never upgrade, they just replace their phone and buy a new one, which then is better just by being newer. (That includes old phones being handed down)
[automerge]1569067450[/automerge]
That's the way I'm leaning too but I know I'm biased towards being cynical at Apple's marketing pushes to make people want to spend hundreds on a new phone each year.
But do they actually do that? Very very few people buy a new phone every year, I think it is about 1% to 2% of all buyers.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
All other things being constant, there’s a supposed 40 percent more power efficient processor in this updated iPhone compared to last years

So How does that HUGE figure equate to merely one hour and not a lot more? Did they shrink the battery size 30% too from xr? That’s the only way I can wrap my head around the little practical gains.
The processor is not the only thing using power. The biggest part is the screen. And the biggest battery saver is reducing the screen brightness, or turning the screen off quickly when the phone is not used.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
When I upgraded from the 7 Plus I noticed a few resolution-related things like some text sometimes, but honestly, I held my screen next to my friend’s XS Max and he was shocked. He said the only difference he could see in general was better blacks on his XS Max. I’m not saying the XR screen is as good as the 8 Plus or Max, but it is a very good display. Worst case for anyone with reservations, take advantage of the 14 day return policy at Apple (or 30 days for me at Verizon) and see how you like the display. If it’s no good, return and get the Pro.
It's obvious that the Pro Max is the better phone. With a better screen and so on. What everybody has to decide for themselves is whether the difference in price is worth it to them.
[automerge]1569068099[/automerge]
Wait, you can talk on these things? How is that possible?
Like this: "Hey Siri. Please call my wife and tell her that I'm an hour late tonight. And ask her what's up for dinner and tell me".

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Considering going from the 8 plus to 11...

It has 256GB and just had front camera and screen replaced. Otherwise in mint condition except battery health is at 85%.

Apple is offering $350 on a trade in and Telus is offering $375... is that worth it or should I try selling privately?
Put it on eBay with minimum selling price of $375.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Agreed, if I owned an XS I'd be feeling pretty bad about the 4-5 hours extra battery life in the Pro. In that sense the XS/Pro line is just playing catchup to the XR, and while the Pro now exceeds even the 11 on battery the fact is the XR is still a solid all-day performer in that regard where the XS was not.
To be honest, when XR / XS / XS Max were released, the XR was bloody heavy compared to the others (but with a bigger battery and longer battery life, which caused to extra weight). The weight and thickness seemed Ok because it was the cheaper phone. It seems that Apple now learnt from customers that they preferred the bigger battery even though it meant thicker case and more weight. I'd guess that people preferring better battery life outweigh people preferring a thinner, lighter phone about 80:20.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Like the iPhone XR, the iPhone 11 supports Qi-based wireless charging, as well as fast charging for up to a 50 percent charge in 30 minutes with an 18W or higher USB-C charger. Unfortunately, Apple still includes the same-old 5W charger and Lightning to USB-A cable with the iPhone 11.
So how is fast charging supposed to work?

Does it charge faster with a 12.5 Watt iPad charger? Or if I have a USB-C charger, do I need a USB-C to Lightning adapter?

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Considering going from the 8 plus to 11...

It has 256GB and just had front camera and screen replaced. Otherwise in mint condition except battery health is at 85%.

Apple is offering $350 on a trade in and Telus is offering $375... is that worth it or should I try selling privately?
In the US that phone could probably sell privately for USD425, so closer to $600 Canadian. How easy would it be to sell privately?

With a trade in you typically leave money on the table but it’s less hassle.

Reactions: TVreporter

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
So how is fast charging supposed to work?

Does it charge faster with a 12.5 Watt iPad charger? Or if I have a USB-C charger, do I need a USB-C to Lightning adapter?
Yes it’ll be quite a bit faster with the 12W iPad charger, but faster still with the 18W/USB-C cable which has been supported since iPhone 8/X.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Have to add for advantages for the Xr is the blue color. Was planning on getting a blue 11. :(

Would not be surprised if the spatial awareness stuff and the wide angle 2nd camera gets used for AR stuff in the future (was really surprised they didn't do something with it during the keynote - cause otherwise a zoom camera would be a no brainer choice for a 2nd camera).

It's still retina resolution (the same resolution (dots per inch) as the base 8). I had a 8 Plus and didn't notice the difference with the Xr.

i have a 6s+ and to my eye all of the new phones, even the OLED, are obviously inferior screens, with visible pixels, PWM flutter at low brightness in OLED, and obviously blurry text.

I'm so disappointed.

there's nothing for me except the 8+, which only gives me a slightly better camera and then i lose the headphone jack

?

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
No the psi on the iPhone 8 and iPhone 11 are the same. I went from a X to an 11, I also have an 8 and I don't notice much of a difference.
oops sorry i omitted pro from my post you are correct that the 8 and the 11 are the same.

uburoibob

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
In the list for the 11 is support for Dolby Atmos. I see elsewhere, the iOS 13.1 made it available to the XR as well. Can anyone confirm? I don't even know where to start to test, but I'd LOVE to hear the Atmos mix of Abbey Road in headphones on my iPhone Xr...

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
I'm tempted to finally upgrade my 8 Plus and I'm tempted by the iPhone 11 but will I notice the difference with the lower resolution screen?

I went from an X to an XR and I didn't notice. I did notice it was LCD though. However, you could always just go to a carrier store or the Apple store and check it out.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I like everything about XR and 11, except for their size! Patiently waiting for iPhone 8-sized iPhone SE or that smaller 5.4” iPhone 12. ✌️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.