Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 11, XR, and SE No Longer Come With EarPods and Power Adapter But USB-C to Lightning Cable Included

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
Should be a USB Type A, now they all have to go out and buy USB Type C bricks..... very good for the environment Apple!

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Lol, where are the people saying "Well Apple removed these things from the iPhone 12 to push the cost down for us so we wouldn't be paying more for the device?" So now they've removed it from these models and have put a cable in it that needs a USB-C charger? Yeah that seems like an environmental move.....

AirunJae

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Unecessary. MagSafe charging is clearly being set up as the replacement. Qi charging is universal across Android and iOS devices, more and more widespread in hotels and coffee shops and iPhone 12‘s wireless charging has been bumped up to 15W, three times faster than the power cubes that iPhones have always shipped with.

Apple is still going to want/need a physical port for things besides charging (playing music in one's car, data transfer, etc). My Laptop has USB-C, my iPad has USB-C, well past time for my iPhone to have it as well. Would probably help (in the long-term) with reducing e-waste by not needing a separate cable for just the phone.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

notabadname

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Works for me. Over the years, I have collected countless USB-A cables. The USB-C are the rare ones to find around my home, so an extra one works for me versus another -A.

t76turbo

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
In that case, what's the point of having the new USB-C cable included, if the assumption is that I already have a charger?

If I have a charger, I probably already have a cable too.

So, they could've gone completely eco-friendly and not included the new cable - and then, down the line, I can get new charger and cable if/when needed.

Absolutely.... It's a money grab pure and simple. As a stock holder I like them saving money. As a customer I think it is pretty cruddy to claim its all for the 'environments' when obviously it isnt.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Ok, but 11 is even more awesome, with better cameras and larger battery. 😉

I didn’t like the look of the camera array and the placement of the Apple logo. Why is that important to me? Because the case I use has a cutout for the logo and it just so happens that this is the PERFECT spot for my fingers to hold onto and stabilize the phone. So I didn’t want it moved. I did however like the midnight green color and hope it returns again in a future phone.

seanners

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2020
I get it, lots of accessories go into the garbage, but where is the discount or the bundle for those who do need those accessories?

Last week I almost bought my mom an iPhone SE to replace her old and damaged phone. I decided to wait until the event happened, and I was shocked to find out that the iPhone SE bundle I need to purchase for my mom now costs 9.5% more:

$399 iPhone SE + $19 wall charger + $19 for headphones = $437 my new total

This pricing also encourages me to buy an off-brand charger and headphones, which now increases the overall carbon footprint of my purchase through separate shipping and packaging.

I actually like that Apple is trying to eliminate waste, but they missed the mark on this one.

one more

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
So, they could've gone completely eco-friendly and not included the new cable - and then, down the line, I can get new charger and cable if/when needed.

Agreed, I do not understand the real need for this lonely USB-C cable in the box either.

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
And here we are. So much about protecting our planet. I now have lost all hope of Apple being pretending to be responsible for the planet. Does this matter to Apple? No. You know what? Just do whatever you Apple does the best: We know EVERYTHING and customers are just dumb iSheep.

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
man the iPhone 12 is looking worse & worse every time I hear something about it. Is this going to be the worst selling iPhone in history?
No. Apple will break the selling record yet again no matter how lacklustre their device update is. Apple is literally too big to fail.

Reactions: rollindany
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.