Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Could Ship With New Braided USB-C to Lightning Cable

ignatius345

macrumors 68040
Aug 20, 2015
But not one with USB-C port.
So buy one. They’re not expensive. I got a tiny 30w Aukey one for my new MacBook Air for about $20. It’s smaller than what Apple gives you and it has retractible prongs. Lower wattage ones are even cheaper.

Comment

ignatius345

macrumors 68040
Aug 20, 2015
All this hate for Lightning when the cable we should all be going after is this god-foresaken POS which is still being put on a lot of electronics.

10244_image8.jpg

Comment

buzzword

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
The real question on everyone's mind, will this still be my cat's #1 choice of cable to chew on?

Comment

Koh Phi Phi

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2017
Sorry, but I wont buy any new iPhone until the switch to USB-C is done. I love having one charger/cord for my laptop, tablet, earphones, etc.

Comment

Tech198

macrumors P6
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
So, take away the power adapter and bring in a new braided USB-C to Lightning cable ? Apple has a strange way of doing things..

Their slogan continues to stay strong "Think different.."

Your not kiddin' (among other areas)

Comment

RobbieBott

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
I cannot believe this company refuses to give up the lightning port.
They aren't giving up on lightning because USB-C is a thicker port (granted not by much but still thicker) which means that ain't happening it would add too much thickness to the phone...

• Disagree
Reactions: dmccloud
Comment

edgonzalez32

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
They aren't giving up on lightning because USB-C is a thicker port (granted not by much but still thicker) which means that ain't happening it would add too much thickness to the phone...
Bro, they aren't giving it up because it's a proprietary port that they make money on. Don't try and come up in here with shoe-horning some sort of logic into it.

Comment

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
the pool
Use the cable that came with the iPhone 11.
They buy an adapter. The world continues to turn, with a little less electronic waste in it.

In six months after Apple and Samsung stop packing power adapters, nobody will be talking about this any more. Everyone swearing they’ll never buy another iPhone again will go back to buying iPhones. Everyone bitching about the Lightning connector will go back to buying Lightning iPhones. The forums will be filled with some new outrage and the cycle of life will continue.
Buy a USB-C charger and enjoy fast charging! It’s less than ten bucks! Use it with your future iPhones, or any USB-C devices.

Use your existing charger and cable? The new cable doesn't really have a benefit without a USB-C computer port (for faster sync) or USB-C PD charger (for faster charge)
So I should use the cable and power adaptor that came with my iPhone 11, which doesn’t include fast charging... when every Android phone from 3 years ago and budget phones today come with it

The Apple apologists are in FULL swing this week — sad!

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So I should use the cable and power adaptor that came with my iPhone 11, which doesn’t include fast charging... when every Android phone from 3 years ago and budget phones today come with it
You can use an adapter you want! Apple, according to rumors, is not supplying a power brick with the iphone 12, so you are free to use any power brick that meets your needs. (Also to note, Samsung to do same.) And if you want the 20 watt charger, you will have to buy it.
The Apple apologists are in FULL swing this week — sad!
Many people have posted rational, cogent, and logical posts about their rational about why this not a big deal. The above is neither rational, cogent or logical.

Comment

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
I know right? Because no one here has spare wall plugs after buying multiple iPhones, iPads, etc. Any clown off the street can buy a $5 wall plug at Bill and Ted's Circle K.

I don't disagree with most of this, but you really do need to be careful with those off-brand cheap chargers from your local convenience store. Those things catch fire sometimes.

Comment

Jar Jar Abrams

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2018
GOOD NEWS Apple is releasing a USBC Connector input but it will be USB4 or it maybe THUNDERBOLT4 (both USBC size connectors but way faster) Its a bummer we have to buy another lightning iPHONE this year but rather that than buy USBC only yo have USB4 in 2021 a year of the end of life USBC would be a bummer, I hope Apple will eventually do make a Lightning to USBC/4/THUNDERBOLT4 adapter for the iPhones because I have so many lightning only microphones which would be a bummer to have to buy again.,
Apogee/Sennheiser Mk4 Digital
APogee/Sennheiser MKE2 Digital
Apogee/Sennheiser Ambeo Smart Headset
APogee Jam lightning
APogee Hypemic
Rode VideomicmeL
Shure VP88

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.