Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Models Use Qualcomm's X55 Modem

JWiLL1988

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2017
The X55 is 1.5 year old garbage. Pretty pathetic to put these crappy modems in $1,000+ phones. 5G draws way too much power as it is, but if you rely on outdated tech like this it's even worse.
Apple never ceases to disgust me!
Cry more about non consequential things

Reactions: PC_tech
Comment

Daniel L

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
Only the US phones support mmWave, there's still a very small possibility of a different modem. I'm more curious about the differences in antenna design and what shows under that mmWave panel.

Reactions: liberte1776
Comment

farewelwilliams

macrumors 68040
Jun 18, 2014
I barely post so your assumptions that I attack Apple are ridiculous but keep up that defense like they care about you :rolleyes::rolleyes:
It only takes a couple of seconds to check out what you wrote. You commented MANY TIMES on these threads:
"Epic Games Asks Court to Allow Fortnite Back on the App Store"
"Apple Retains Gibson Dunn Lawyers From Samsung Case to Combat Epic Games"
"Apple Says 'We Won't Make an Exception' for Epic Games in App Store Dispute"
"Epic Games vs. Apple: Timeline of Events Surrounding Fortnite's Removal From App Store"
"Apple Threatens to Terminate Epic Games' Developer Accounts on August 28"

And you had plenty to say against Apple. Do I need to post every comment you said? Saying you "barely post" is so wrong. Face it, you just like bashing Apple even if it goes against what you said earlier.

Sorry but, this is a waste of my time and this is going off topic. Going to end it here. Have a good one.

Comment

PC_tech

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2019
It only takes a couple of seconds to check out what you wrote. You commented MANY TIMES on these threads:
"Epic Games Asks Court to Allow Fortnite Back on the App Store"
"Apple Retains Gibson Dunn Lawyers From Samsung Case to Combat Epic Games"
"Apple Says 'We Won't Make an Exception' for Epic Games in App Store Dispute"
"Epic Games vs. Apple: Timeline of Events Surrounding Fortnite's Removal From App Store"
"Apple Threatens to Terminate Epic Games' Developer Accounts on August 28"

And you had plenty to say against Apple. Do I need to post every comment you said? Saying you "barely post" is so wrong. Face it, you just like bashing Apple even if it goes against what you said earlier.

Sorry but, this is a waste of my time and this is going off topic. Going to end it here. Have a good one.
You can believe what you want, a few posts mean absolutely nothing, you defend Apple daily 🙄🙄

Comment

Premium1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2013
I think that people holding out for next years x60 prob need to be aware that 5G will keep on improving year on year for quite a few years yet . The x55 is a great modem and in 3 years time which is when I will next upgrade I hope an even better x70 will be out
Agree. It is just like with LTE. The chips/modems will continue to improve as 5G becomes more common and the technology matures over the years.
[automerge]1603658861[/automerge]
Coming from an iPhone with an intel chip to the 12 pro, it is definitely noticeable in low/marginal signal areas. The 12 pro and the qualcomm modem performs much better than the intel modem did in the same spot.

Comment

7thson

macrumors demi-god
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I think that people holding out for next years x60 prob need to be aware that 5G will keep on improving year on year for quite a few years yet . The x55 is a great modem and in 3 years time which is when I will next upgrade I hope an even better x70 will be out
It’s not about 5G for me. It’s about better reception of LTE in outlying areas, where 5G isn’t rolled out yet. Even so, I think I will upgrade because I’m really frustrated with the experience I’m having with my XS in said areas.

Comment

mcc0624

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2020
you could have been paying less and still keep qualcomm
What evidence do you have of this? iPhones are still priced the same as they have been for generations. When Apple ditched third party SoCs for their A-series there was no savings passed to the customer.

There is no indication anywhere that Apple will pass on savings to the customer. It always just gets added to their own profit margins.

Last edited:
Comment

farewelwilliams

macrumors 68040
Jun 18, 2014
What evidence do you have of this? iPhones are still priced the same as they have been for generations. When Apple ditched third party SoCs for their A-series there was no savings passed to the customer.

There is no indication anywhere that Apple will pass on savings to the customer. It always just gets added to their own profit margins.

Wrong.

When Apple switched to A-series, a new model of iPhone was introduced and a new category (iPad) was released. The switch to A-series helped offset the R&D of a new model. You can see what happened when the iPhone 5 got released, the base price increased.

When Apple saves money in one area, they don't always pocket the difference. They get reinvested elsewhere: iPhone 12's margins are taking a hit despite the lack of inclusion of EarPods and charging brick and smaller shipping volume. https://9to5mac.com/2020/10/14/ipho...gins-despite-removing-headphones-and-charger/

And if you look at the upcoming MacBook Arm, prices could be lowered: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/arm-macbook-leak-just-revealed-a-shockingly-low-price

Even reliable leaker Ming Chi Kuo mentions: "The analyst has also suggested in earlier notes that the switch to in-house designs from Intel chips will reduce processor costs by between 40% and 60%, which could lead to a more flexible cost structure and more competitive product prices." https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/06/21/arm-based-mac-launch-expected-for-wwdc-says-ming-chi-kuo

Comment

mcc0624

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2020
Wrong.

When Apple switched to A-series, a new model of iPhone was introduced and a new category (iPad) was released. The switch to A-series helped offset the R&D of a new model. You can see what happened when the iPhone 5 got released, the base price increased.

When Apple saves money in one area, they don't always pocket the difference. They get reinvested elsewhere: iPhone 12's margins are taking a hit despite the lack of inclusion of EarPods and charging brick and smaller shipping volume. https://9to5mac.com/2020/10/14/ipho...gins-despite-removing-headphones-and-charger/

And if you look at the upcoming MacBook Arm, prices could be lowered: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/arm-macbook-leak-just-revealed-a-shockingly-low-price

Even reliable leaker Ming Chi Kuo mentions: "The analyst has also suggested in earlier notes that the switch to in-house designs from Intel chips will reduce processor costs by between 40% and 60%, which could lead to a more flexible cost structure and more competitive product prices." https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/06/21/arm-based-mac-launch-expected-for-wwdc-says-ming-chi-kuo

Ok. So maybe it doesn't go into their margins. I will give you that one. I think you latched on to the wrong part of the point I was trying to make.

The initial point that was made was that cost savings of using in house chips gets passed to the customer. My main point is that Apple has never passed cost savings to the customer. It may not go to their profit margins (although I bet some of it does), but it goes into R&D, as you stated. Not savings to the customer

The new MacBook MAY get a price reduction, but we have yet to see that. As of now, there is no evidence Apple passes any savings to the customer

Last edited:
Comment

farewelwilliams

macrumors 68040
Jun 18, 2014
Ok. So maybe it doesn't go into their margins. I will give you that one. I think you latched on to the wrong part of the point I was trying to make.

The initial point that was made was that cost savings of using in house chips gets passed to the customer. My main point is that Apple has never passed cost savings to the customer. It may not go to their profit margins (although I bet some of it does), but it goes into R&D, as you stated. Not savings to the customer

The new MacBook MAY get a price reduction, but we have yet to see that. As of now, there is no evidence Apple passes any savings to the customer

The iPod Touch 2nd gen 8GB was $249. 4th gen had the 8GB at $229. (3rd gen didn't have 8GB model, was limited to 32/64GB capacity)

4th gen lowered the price compared to 2nd gen due to the introduction of the A4 chip despite the increased cost in having a retina display for the first time.

There's your evidence.

Last edited:
Comment

mcc0624

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2020
Arm, prices c

The iPod Touch 2nd gen 8GB was $249. 4th gen had the 8GB at $229. (3rd gen didn't have 8GB model, was limited to 32/64GB capacity)

4th gen lowered the price compared to 2nd gen due to the introduction of the A4 chip despite the increased cost in having a retina display for the first time.

There's your evidence.
ahahaha. Okay, you got me. The ONE example they have done it on. How much Googling did you have to do to find that out? All the way back to iPod Touch 2nd gen.

That $20 adder from using Qualcomm really breaks the bank. Im looking forward to all the savings im going to get when they switch to their own modem.

Comment

farewelwilliams

macrumors 68040
Jun 18, 2014
ahahaha. Okay, you got me. The ONE example they have done it on. How much Googling did you have to do to find that out? All the way back to iPod Touch 2nd gen.
wasn't hard. i remember the iPod touch 4g switching to the A4 chip, so I googled the 3rd gen price. 3rd gen didn't have a 8GB equivalent so I googled the 2g price. few seconds of work.

That $20 adder from using Qualcomm really breaks the bank. Im looking forward to all the savings im going to get when they switch to their own modem.

Or you know...that could have paid for an included magsafe charger or a 20w charger that everyone on this forum seems to whine about.

Comment

mcc0624

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2020
wasn't hard. i remember the iPod touch 4g switching to the A4 chip, so I googled the 3rd gen price. 3rd gen didn't have a 8GB equivalent so I googled the 2g price. few seconds of work.

Or you know...that could have paid for an included magsafe charger or a 20w charger that everyone on this forum seems to whine about.
With Apple's track record of removing accessories and making us pay for them. Also, all the dongles we have to buy. I highly highly doubt the alternative would be Apple including a magsafe charger or 20W charger.

But i have no way of knowing for sure.

Comment

farewelwilliams

macrumors 68040
Jun 18, 2014
With Apple's track record of removing accessories and making us pay for them. Also, all the dongles we have to buy. I highly highly doubt the alternative would be Apple including a magsafe charger or 20W charger.

But i have no way of knowing for sure.

Wearables and accessories made up about 10% of Apple's revenue last quarter IIRC. Subtracting Apple Watch, Apple TV, AirPods, Beats headphones, HomePod, Mac Pro accessories like Pro XDR display and Afterburner from that 10%, iPhone cables/chargers would make up far less than a percent of their total revenue.

If we could put a $ amount on the negative PR Apple gets from removing these accessories, it would outweigh the <1% revenue they get from selling more cables.

Also these MagSafe cables are less sticky than lightning cables. They're totally usable with other Qi devices while lightning cables are factored into everyone's minds that are thinking about leaving to Android. Maybe the MagSafe wallet would make up for that, but I would assume not many customers are going to convert their wallet to a magsafe wallet as much as customers switching to MagSafe chargers.

Last edited:
Comment

Getoffmeluckycharms

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2017
Kansas, y'all
I don't know why you guys keep saying Intel modems. You all forget Apple bought Intel's modem business last year so it's all Apple now. They may have kept the Intel name on it, but it's all Apple's guys (I mean, yeah they did come over from Intel) working on it. I suppose at some point after they learn enough they'll start using their own silicone and stop leaning on Qualcomm. I'm glad they they're using them for 5G though, they wouldn't hvae gotten 5G for at least 3 or 4 years on their own without them.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.