Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

'iPhone 12 Pro' Models Could Be Capable of Shooting 4K Video at 120fps and 240fps

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
No way this will be limited to the higher end models. High FPS capture is about the CPU and the bandwidth. These are always the same among all iPhone models because they use the same SoC.

If Apple does this, they would be intentionally crippling the lower end model.

Comment

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
I mean yay? Dont take many pics and basically zero videos (never used slow-mo). It's cool for spec purposes, but Im looking for more than a batter camera and square sides (hidden by a case)

Yes 5G and 120hz is great, they are big technology steps. But is that going to get 10S or 11 Pro users to upgrade? Especially with a pandemic and people already not spending money. 5G is basically useless right now in the US except very limited pockets. I dont see that changing for a few years at this pace either. And 120hz is nice but buy a new $1000+ phone for it? Never used a 120hz ipad so not missing out on what could be.

Now if they shrink the notch you have to stare at all day per the rumors, thats a huge upgrade since you see that ho many dozens/hundreds of times per day. That's a big "ok I see the change every day now" thing. It changs the whole device feel like using an iphone and then some Android with a teardrop notch. It just feels like a bigger display instantly.

Im having a hard time for the first time ever justifying upgrading this year. Unless something big like that notch gets smaller.

This was one rumored feature for the phone, not all rumored features for the phone. Acting like this has been the only rumored feature for the phone is disingenuous. Another rumored feature for the phone has been the smaller notch that you seem to desperately crave, so we'll see if that happens. I will point out that most people don't buy a new iPhone every year though. It's a mature product, you can't expect game changing updates every year. if you're upgrading from a 3 year old device, the iterative changes add up to a lot though.

Comment

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Why is it click bait?

(I’m pretty sure you’re being sarcastic here, but I’ll post this anyway.)

Just read the title of the article...

First of all, Apple didn’t “confirm” anything about the phone. At all. These are rumors. This rumor about the camera is based on software, yes, but that doesn’t mean Apple has to implement it coming this fall, and it definitely doesn’t mean they “confirmed” anything.

And the second part of the title speaks for itself: “surprise iPhone 12 upgrade”... Seriously? Obviously they’ll be an upgrade. It’s a new iPhone! Specify what it is: ”new camera features,” “more base storage,” “new AR software”

It’s definitely a clickbait title.

Reactions: DinkThifferent
Comment

Homme

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
(I’m pretty sure you’re being sarcastic here, but I’ll post this anyway.)

Just read the title of the article...

First of all, Apple didn’t “confirm” anything about the phone. At all. These are rumors. This rumor about the camera is based on software, yes, but that doesn’t mean Apple has to implement it coming this fall, and it definitely doesn’t mean they “confirmed” anything.

And the second part of the title speaks for itself: “surprise iPhone 12 upgrade”... Seriously? Obviously they’ll be an upgrade. It’s a new iPhone! Specify what it is: ”new camera features,” “more base storage,” “new AR software”

It’s definitely a clickbait title.

not to mention it’s from Forbes which is a clickbait site itself and 2, Gordon Kelly, someone who is anti Apple pro android himself like others who write on that trash of a site

Reactions: Mr. Awesome
Comment

UnbreakableAlex

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2019
With variable framerate and this constant focus pulsing/breathing it's not very good for editing longer videos. You get audiosynch problems and the wobbling looks very bad and distracting. I hope apple fixes that.

Comment

nylonsteel

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2010
it seems like just yesterday 1080p was the big thing
darn - i have to upgrade all my monitors again

Comment

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
I mean yay? Dont take many pics and basically zero videos (never used slow-mo). It's cool for spec purposes, but Im looking for more than a batter camera and square sides (hidden by a case)

Yes 5G and 120hz is great, they are big technology steps. But is that going to get 10S or 11 Pro users to upgrade? Especially with a pandemic and people already not spending money. 5G is basically useless right now in the US except very limited pockets. I dont see that changing for a few years at this pace either. And 120hz is nice but buy a new $1000+ phone for it? Never used a 120hz ipad so not missing out on what could be.

Now if they shrink the notch you have to stare at all day per the rumors, thats a huge upgrade since you see that ho many dozens/hundreds of times per day. That's a big "ok I see the change every day now" thing. It changs the whole device feel like using an iphone and then some Android with a teardrop notch. It just feels like a bigger display instantly.

Im having a hard time for the first time ever justifying upgrading this year. Unless something big like that notch gets smaller.
XS and 11 users shouldn’t upgrade to 12 and Apple knows that, no one is supposed to upgrade each year it’s a waste of money. I mean, iPhone 6S is getting iOS 14 this fall which is amazing. IMO, iPhones will TouchID users are supposed to upgrade this year to any FaceID iPhone.

Comment

ignatius345

macrumors 68040
Aug 20, 2015
Exactly. I love doing slo-mo stuff when shooting various things, and 240fps just isnt slow enough, and I dont wanna spend money on standalone cameras.
You really do start running into light problems though, once the frame rate gets that high. High frame rate + tiny sensor = need lots of light to expose properly. After all, you’re talking about effectively taking lots of photos at 1/480th of a second each.

Comment

HiVolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
You really do start running into light problems though, once the frame rate gets that high. High frame rate + tiny sensor = need lots of light to expose properly. After all, you’re talking about effectively taking lots of photos at 1/480th of a second each.

Yeah i'm not looking for perfection, other camreas and phones can do it at reduced quality (at the users discretion of course).

Reactions: ignatius345
Comment

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
If they still persist on image stacking while doing video it will not mean much. I have no clue why they decided to go that route other than to show off their Axx CPU

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.