Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 vs. iPhone 11 Buyer's Guide

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I’m still using an iPhone 7 Plus. I use my phone all the time (way too much). It still does everything I want it to do, but I was considering upgrading anyway. It’s pretty disappointing they don’t include the power adapter in the box. Yeah, I have a bunch of power adapters, but I don’t have any usb-c adapters. I’m going to pass on the new phone this year out of principle.
Damn, I have the same iphone and still works solid but I feel it’s time to upgrade. A power adaptor won’t hold me back. I actually might consider last year models if carriers have BOGO promotions since I need one for my son as well.

Comment

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
One of my friends was going to get the violet iPhone 12! Does not exist! She is so disappointed! LOL!:D

This is why I’m getting the Pacific Blue 12 Pro Max regardless. Next year it will be replaced by another color!

Comment

amartinez1660

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2014
I’m still using an iPhone 7 Plus. I use my phone all the time (way too much). It still does everything I want it to do, but I was considering upgrading anyway. It’s pretty disappointing they don’t include the power adapter in the box. Yeah, I have a bunch of power adapters, but I don’t have any usb-c adapters. I’m going to pass on the new phone this year out of principle.
Can agree to the principle.
But if you have a bunch of power adapters you probable also have several lightning to USB-A cables too for those power bricks?

Comment

ian87w

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
you could say that literally any year. The 2022 iPhone will have even better features than the 2021 model.

this year’s lineup is great, and definitely worthy of consideration for anyone in the market for a new phone. IMO, the only iPhone being offered now that really isn’t worth it is the Xr. Two year old chip, missing a lot of newer features, but still more expensive than the SE.
But at least it's not $200 more than previously. It's just $100 extra, and you get FaceID, larger screen, and more modern look. For many people, the looks of the phone is more important than the chip running inside.

I feel like the XR is going to be the next 6s, that it will be around for a looong time.

Comment

ralmin

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2017
Adelaide, Australia
I take my phone when I go running and that makes me want the smallest and lightest phone possible. The size and weight of my iPhone 6 was perfect. The iPhone X size was too big, but you had to go to that size to get the edge-to-edge OLED screen, the dual cameras and Face ID. The new iPhone 12 mini provides all of those in a smaller package. Now the smallest phone is better in every way, with no compromise on performance.

Reactions: Grey Area
Comment

SWAON

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2017
Europe
You can say that very same thing next year, waiting for the Iphone 14 and it's better features. Technology is always changing so it's a matter of what you want and how much you are willing to pay.
you could say that literally any year. The 2022 iPhone will have even better features than the 2021 model.

this year’s lineup is great, and definitely worthy of consideration for anyone in the market for a new phone. IMO, the only iPhone being offered now that really isn’t worth it is the Xr. Two year old chip, missing a lot of newer features, but still more expensive than the SE.

That's obvious point, but not strong enough to make real case here. Why? Because some years you have really good features to price ratio than others. What are the selling points of this year? Yeah the new design is here (we'll have it for another 3-4 years, so brace yourself about it), Oled screens across the lineup, yes (that's maybe the only new thing). 5G that you barely will use but you'll pay extra 50-100$ to help them actually build it; The "better" battery they even didn't brat about anything or the cameras on the regular ones. Remember how every year we hear how AXX chip is x?? something faster than the previous gen, this year A14 is not that fast from A13, the main difference is 7 to 5 nm process. Overal i don't see the prices justify over what they offer. But yet again, if someone wants to buy the new iPhones, he doesn't need real reason not to, it's just matter of personal considerations. I just think if you really care about what you buy aka the power of the consumer, you'll want better value for the money. :)

Comment

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I think I’ll go for the 12 Mini pro or is it called the 12 pro Mini? Either way, that’s what I’m upgrading my X to.

Comment

Miha_v

macrumors member
May 18, 2018
Happy with 11 Pro and I think I will remain for a while :). But if for any reason I would have to buy a new phone in the near future, 12 Mini is the absolute winner - I really miss the more comfortable smaller size, option to introduce Mini version was a good idea. 12 Mini Pro would also be a winner, IMO.

Comment

Agit21

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
How can you not talk about the dimensions Macrumors!? The 12 is smaller and the bezels slimmer. That’s so great about it.

Comment

ksec

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
No Media has picked up on it yet.

1. Qualcomm Vs Intel Modem. - It would be Qualcomm X55, and even if you are only on 4G plan the Qualcomm Modem will still be better than Intel.

2. 4X4 MIMO, which was only available on iPhone 11 Pro last year, is now on iPhone 12 as well. This is again a big improvement even if you are only on 4G.

Comment

votdfak

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
If anyone cares I am not upgrading my X. Patiently waiting for notch-less [not SE] iPhone Pro model. I remember when I first saw X, had to have it coming from 7plus. With these I don't feel that.

Reactions: George Dawes
Comment

mscice

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
Save your money, no point in getting this upgrade... wait for notchless fingerprint under screen phone using Microled.

iPhone 12 will be least purchased phone.

IF you have to upgrade.. get a iPhone X at amazing prices now.

Reactions: George Dawes
Comment

George Dawes

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Amazing how times change , iPhone 12 mini as big a screen as an 8 plus from just a few years ago

Crazy 😜

Comment

adrianlondon

macrumors 68030
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
My routine so far is to buy the cheapest model of the cheapest (but latest) phone every 3 years. I went from the 6S to the 11, and will hence probably get the 14 if they call it that. I still use my 6S as a backup phone and to track bike rides, although the battery isn't the best and I need to be careful which apps I install as it only has 16GB. It's running iOS 14.2 well.

I've been lucky in that I've always managed to hold on a few weeks after launch to catch some kind of sale. Usually Black Friday, despite the fact hardly anyone here in Europe knows why it's called that :)

Comment

HyperFlow

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
Here in the U.K., not many areas have 5G coverage and I imagine that 4G is enough for most people for the next few years. I do feel that the 11 is the best option for the majority right now once you consider price.

Comment

dca100

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
"Water resistant to a depth of two metres vs six metres for up to 30 minutes"

Genuine question: what difference will this actually make to anyone in real-life? Is the 12 actually any more resistant to water penetration than the 11? Will there be any change to the warranty conditions?

The simple fact is that iPhones are not waterproof and water damage of any kind is not covered under warranty. I know this from bitter experience when my 11 month old iPhone XS Max completely died after being accidentally dropped into a sink of cold water for approx 2 seconds. This is despite it having been advertised as being IP68 which = water resistant to a depth of up to 3m for 30 mins.

Comment

Dolmio

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
My X keeps chugging along and maybe just needs a battery replacement. I like the design of the 12 (throwback to the 5 era) and that blue looks great in the 12, but not so much the 12 Pro. Anyways, this is the first 5G model and it makes me wonder if I should wait until the S model with perhaps a newer Qualcomm 5g modem.

I think 5g will keep evolving for quite a few years yet. Prob need at least 3 more years before you wouldn’t need an upgrade from a 5g perspective . Next years modems will be better and more energy efficient but that likely to be a recurrent trend for quite a few years IMO

Comment

GuruZac

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2015
Keeping my 11 Pro Max. Personally I don’t see the benefit of going to the 12 Pro Max. To me this year is just a S series year. Maybe next year they’ll come out with something really exciting.
This is definitely not a year to upgrade if you’re using an 11 Pro. I’m in the same boat as well. But if I had an 11 or any non-X style non-OLED iPhone, I would upgrade. The 11 to 12 would be significant with the new OLED display alone going from the 326ppi LCD to the 460ppi OLED.

Comment

Reason077

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2007
I’ve been wanting a blue iPhone for a while, but I’m disappointed with the color of blue they chose. It’s way too green for my taste.

Looks pretty nice to me. Personally I'd try it out in person before making a decision.

I'm more curious about the "hand feel" of the iPhone 12 models, however. My iPhone 5 was a nice phone, but it always felt kind of sharp and slightly awkward to hold compared to subsequent models with their smoother, subtly rounded edges. I wonder if the new design has improved on this?

Comment

Reason077

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2007
I’m really stuck between the 12 and 12 Pro. I was set on a 12 Pro (coming from an iPhone 7) but I just don’t have a need for the “ultimate camera” they all shared the same screen tech which is predominantly why I’m upgrading. I’ll wait till the reviews.

One thing to consider here is the 12 Pro has a stainless steel band compared to the aluminium band on the 12. They may well have improved things, but back in the day I found that the aluminium edges of the 5, 6s, etc scratched very easily compared to the stainless steel band on my X, which has held up very well.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.