iPhone 1st gen annoucement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moosquared, Sep 4, 2012.

1. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

With Sept 12 just around the corner, I went to watch the first iPhone keynote on youtube. Can't help but feel truly amazed by the guy all over again.

Obviously, the technology on the first iPhone is extremely outdated now. But back in 2007... :eek::eek::eek:

What the hell were we using during the pre-iPhone era? I know I was using a Nokia N95 8GB and the N93i. A great phone, but browsing internet on them is a pain. And I had to carry a separate iPod for my music. Back then it was not a nuisance to carry both device, but now, definitely is.

If you want to relive the moment again...:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyx_va6f10s

2. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

I liked when people gasped when he swiped to unlock :D

3. kannesss macrumors 6502a

I remember watching the keynote blog. It was like Martians had come from space and everyone saw it at once. I remeber the seconds before they showed it, it was updated every 1:50 seconds, and after it wa every 3 seconds.

It was really really crazy. Good times.

I loved my iPhone 1st gen. Back when a lot of people didn't have them.

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

The first iPhone keynote was one of the significant events in personal computing history.

People need to watch it again and be reminded how significant the iPhone really is.

And lets not forget, "and boy have we patented it."

Samsung should have paid attention to those words...

5. moosquared thread starter macrumors regular

moosquared

This. Best line of the whole speech. :D

6. dfroger macrumors newbie

Had to make an account to comment on this.
    The guy was a genius. Still got goosebumps when watching the video.
    It was the first real smartphone.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

how? it had no app store, no mms, no copy paste, no 3g when 3g was common, limited calendar app

the first iphone wasn't tat impressive. What was impressive was the thought of the possibility of the iphone that we have seen with later iterations

8. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

This drove me to youtube so I could watch it again. :D

9. der-kaiser macrumors 6502

IOS was the real innovation for the orginal iPhone.

10. ARSC, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

ARSC macrumors 6502

Dont you guys think the speaker and microphone unit looks the same in the new iphone 5 rumour picture.

if you compare it with the first iphone.

11. taedouni macrumors 65816

Are you being serious ? You obviously have no knowlodge of engineering and design. The iPhone forever changed the phone industry. Also you have to remember that this was Apple's first phone. Also 3G,MMS, copy and paste was not mainstream. As for the App store... What company released an Application store like Apple did prior to Apple..?

12. der-kaiser macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Apple should re-watch the keynote and take a lesson from Steve on how to present without pacing around the stage like a manic. Steve seemed to pace around less frequently than Cook, Forstall, etc.

----------

Of course MMS and copy/paste were mainstream at the time. Apple just had not figured out how to implement them on the iPhone yet.

14. k995 macrumors 6502a

You could play music on an N95 , yes browsing on it wasnt very good but that was the non touch screen. Others browsed fine as long as you had 3.5" or larger screen. Plenty of those phones at me were <3.5" with resistive screens .

The iphone was a very good phone for its time, but nothing like the ipad was for example. There have always been phones who were almost or just as good.

----------

No that industry was already moving in that direction. Several phones simular to the iphone were released before or right after the iphone and unlike what people think, it takes years to develop them . This goes for hard as software . the reason was simple: hardware was finnaly catching up with what phone manufacturers wanted .

But it was an amazing first phone apple released thats true.

15. moosquared thread starter macrumors regular

moosquared

You're right. You can play music with the N95. It's just I bought lots of musics on iTunes which you can play on the N95. Syncing it with the Nokia PC Suite is also not very user friendly. The earphone jack also didn't make it easier to listen to music.
    I admit that I was being unfair with the internet capabilities since it's a non touch screen phone. The camera was really great though. Compared to my 3GS, Nokia produced a far better picture, IMO.

16. Skika macrumors 68030

I remember how i had the N95 at the time, and i bashed the iPhone for its crappy camera(no video? lol), no 3G, no MMS, etc...

But then one day i got to use it and immediately got it :D

17. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yea of course! Cuz back then my blackberry, and nokia smartphone were so smart I couldnt get the whole web in my pocket! :rolleyes: yet you talk about copy and paste, app store ect.... Cereal brah?

18. DanBurns91 macrumors regular

'' And boy have we patented it !" That made me laugh considering the patent wars going on today

19. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

This thread is a little sappy. Too sappy, but then again some people love replaying the past & wishing to live it in the present.

I'd rather stay focused on the present & future plans. It's far more engaging.

20. Skika macrumors 68030

Wow, so cool and edgy.

21. Xandros macrumors regular

True, but at least none of them have gone to the extremes of Steve Ballmer.

22. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

23. moosquared thread starter macrumors regular

moosquared

Ah, I guess it makes sense that Forbes named him the worst CEO, deserved to be fired.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yes I am. The original iphone, aside from the UI was not that amazing and certainly not "smart". Only the later iterations were where the iphone became a viable alternative to smart phone users

What I bolded certainly were mainstream. Where were you back then??

Nowhere did I say that the iphone did not change phone design and UI for the industry. It was, from a feature standpoint, quite underwhelming

25. scott99, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

scott99 macrumors 6502a

I remember when they announced the iPhone, and they were calling it the Jesus Phone. I actually thought a virtual keyboard was the dumbest idea ever. I kept saying, how the hell are you gonna type on a virtual keyboard, that will never work, what a dumb idea. I had a Palm Treo 700p (with Sprint) at the time, and I loved that phone.

BUT, I had an iPod that I loved, so being an Apple fan, I did more research on the iPhone, and the more I read about it, the more I got stoked about it. I did not buy it at launch, $500 for 4 gig just seemed insane ($600 for 8gig), BUT, when they did that $300 price cut a few months later, there was no stopping me.

People who look back say, it didn't have this or didn't have that, several things other phones already had, BUT what it had was an amazing operating system. There was no phone out at the time that could surf the web like the iPhone 1, it was so much like a computer. The touch screen was amazing, the pinch to zoom was incredible, and the integration with itunes was perfect.

Little did people know, that the iPhone was going to kill Nokia and RIM, two huge leaders in 2007, but the iPhone practically killed both phones, along with killing off Palm phones.