iPhone 1st Generation unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ric275, Dec 9, 2011.

1. ric275 macrumors member

Dec 4, 2011
    Surrey, UK
    Hey all, I recently bought an iPhone 1st Gen off of ebay and found out it had AT&T on the front picture on the box as the carrier. I assumed that it's a US phone. I knew the phone had been unlocked so this didnt bother me. However when I turned it on it was running iPhone OS 1.4.1 with what looked like a jailbreak. Then I found the seller had an included an Orange SIM in the phone which wasn't working. I have many iPhones and this is just for the collection, not as a phone. So I decided to restore and update it to iPhone OS 3.1.3 and undo the jailbreak and unlock so it was 'pure' again. However after the restore and update, I decided just for fun to try a O2 SIM in it. To my amazment it worked! And I can use it as a phone. Can someone tell me what has happened here? Was it unlocked professionally or something? Did 3.1.3 unlock it? Or did all iPhone 1st Gen's have AT&T on the box? (But it did come with a US charger). So now I have an unlocked(?) iPhone 1st Gen running smoothly on 3.1.3. Overall I am pleased but I would like to know what went on about unlocking!
  2. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

Apr 14, 2011
    Maybe Apple just allowed any 1st gen to run on any other offical iPhone carrier. As there were not many.
  3. tardman91, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

tardman91 macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2009
    Tampa Area, FL
    Back when I followed the jailbreaking and stuff, I thought there came a point that once you unlocked an original iPhone that it stayed unlocked, regardless of updates or restores. It probably had to do with using a custom IPSW or upgrading without changing the baseband or something like that.
    Anyone who knows for sure care to chime in?