iPhone (2014) screen size possibilities?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Let's go with the hypothetical (and near certain) scenario that the iPhone (2012) will have a 4" screen with a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio. It is very likely that Apple will maintain traditional refresh cycle and keep the body identical for the 2013 iPhone, therefore I believe that the 2014 iPhone would be the first opportunity for a screen size adjustment.

Now I'm not saying that Apple will make a larger screen, or that they should make a larger screen, or even that I WANT them to make a larger screen. But it is conceivable that the current trend of wanting large screens remains. IF over the next two years nearly all smartphones have a minimum screen size of 4.3-4.5", and IF Apple is routinely criticized for a small screen, and IF iPhone sales flatline as a result of being too small, THEN obviously Apple will feel a lot of pressure to increase the screen size.

Are you following me down this hypothetical trail?* K good, lets continue. So lets assume that in 2014 (or whenever really) Apple decides they want to bump up the screen size from 4". What is the most logical and reasonable way that Apple could do this, given the current limitations to iOS?

• Do you think Apple would maintain resolution/aspect ratio and simply increase to 4.3 or 4.5"? This would require no changes for apps but would lose "retina" and add no additional screen real estate.
    • Do you think Apple would maintain aspect ratio, double the resolution while also increasing the screen size? This PPI might be commerically available in 2 years. This would allow apps to immediately work, be relatively easily upgraded to the doubled resolution, can could even be redesigned if the dev wanted to make use of added screen real estate.
    • Maybe Apple will decide they liked the 2:3 aspect ratio better and keep the new height while expanding width until 2:3 aspect ratio is reached? This would be a simalar effect as now, but it only expands horizontally instead of vertically.
    Or can you think of other alternatives?

*if you don't like this thread, then you are not obligated to comment in it* :)

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Duh, the next logical move is 3D. /sarcasm :rolleyes:

Still, I don't doubt it.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Want a larger screen? Get an iPad.
    It would make the touch points and interface controls large and wonky.

I honestly wonder about a simliar but reverse issue, regarding current iPad 1024res apps being automatically scaled down to 8" iPad mini.

4. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

You seriously want to spend time discussing what Apple is going to do in two years time? Really?

Anyways, the one thing you stated, and I know it was a hypothetical, was Apple iPhone sales flatlining from now until the fall of 2014. It won't happen. Not a chance. I'm confident the next iPhone will be the best seller to date. And the next iPhone will be the same, etc.

I don't think any future iPhone screen size increases will have anything to do with sales. I think if and when they increase the screen it will be for a variety of reasons.

Honestly I think it's pretty stupid to speculate on what is going to happen in two years time. There is no way of knowing if they'll bump up the screen size in 2014 or not. I'm just very happy we are getting a larger screen in two weeks.

5. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

ah yes, 4" is too small, lets go to 9.7" :rolleyes:

Describe "wonky". I understand that it would make everything larger, but I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. Wouldn't everything work fine, just marginally larger? And that could just be the auto quick fix for devs, because they could always take the time to eventually redesign their apps if they chose to.

6. irDigital0l Guest

It'll probably be 4-inches for like 5 years.

Than Apple will bump it up to 4.5-inches.

7. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I don't think it's stupid. Pointless? Possibly. But honestly discussion of what Apple will unveil in 2 weeks is honestly pointless, but that doesn't mean that nobody should speculate. And I think we can agree that these are the types of things the Apple started thinking about yesterday, in case they do want to end up increasing screen size again.

You are happy with the screen increase and honestly I will be pretty happy with the screen increase, but I think a lot of people see it as Apple trying to play catch up, but not even catching up. How does that quote go, "Go to where the puck is going, not where it is". Well to many people will believe that Apple just finally got to where the puck was 2 years ago. I'm not complaining personally, but I think that will be regarded as one of the flaws of the iPhone, not an attribute. So it's reasonable to wonder what direction Apple could go from here.

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I think it'll be 4 inches for the forseeable future. If technology comes along that lets apple put things like the sensors and earphone behind the screen, then I could see Apple making the entire front of the phone the screen, with a small bar at the bottom for the home button. I don't think they will want to increase the dimensions of the phone any more.

9. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I think any talk about what Apple is going to unveil in two weeks is a hell of a lot more relevant and substantial then speculating about 2 years from now.

Apple is indeed playing catchup if you will with respect to screen size but look at how well the 4S has sold the past 11 months.

There are a lot of stupid threads on this forum, and I tend to keep my mouth shut if you will because me bringing the hate isn't going to help a thing. But I did want to chime in that talk of Apple's plans in two years is pretty silly IMO. I could easily see Apple sticking with a 4" screen for four years. I could see them moving to something slightly larger. But if this threads lives on it's just a bunch of people making wild guesses. There really is no way to know even in the slightest.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

"then"

Apple will be 4 inches but I imagine they will consider going up slightly depending on demand.

11. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

They just might offer two sizes.

Nokia, Sony have different sizes, one being 3.7 inches - 4 inches. I like 4 inches and no wider. If Apple goes that rout, than I will look else where. I have an iPad and looking at the iPad Mini when it comes out for the other functions. Not a smartphone that I use as a phone mostly, not to play games on.

12. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I see foldable/retractable screens in the future! 4" when you need to just do basic things like phone calls and 5-6" when you want to do some gaming/surfing! ;)

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If that happens, they'll find a way to increase the screen size while maintaining the same or similar overall size. Still lots of wasted space on the new iPhone.

I'm sure Ive's lab has working models for the next five years.

14. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

I disagree...
    I'm sure they're working on technological advancements for the next five years, but industrial design is so fluid that they've probably got the next few potential iterations in mind, but nowhere near five years out.

15. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Relevant? Yes. Substantial? If by that you mean more information, yes. Equally pointless? yes. The fact is nothing is certain, and speculating about what a person/company will do tomorrow or next decade doesn't change anything

Of course there will be no way to know. But we can make educated predictions. The fact is there are very limited possibilities about how Apple could try to increase screen size and by weighing the pros and cons of each we can try to predict what will happen. Do you remember who Timothy Collins is? He was simply a guy who called into the vergecast and posited his theory about how Apple could conceivably increase the screen only vertically to get to 4" with a 16:10 aspect ratio. This was said over a month and a half before there were any "rumors" about this concept and several months before any of the parts leaks.

My point is it isn't impossible to predict what Apple will do. You just need to think like Apple

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Fair enough. Work on the iPhone started in 2002 but the iPhone design as we know it didn't come until 2004.

They can at least consider the different screen size possibilities for the next five years using the current technology, until something better comes along.

17. Menel, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Where is the puck going? There are 5, 5.3, and 5.5 phones out. Is it going to 6? 7.85? 9.7? Where does it stop?

The current form factor is very useable and portable. Usability trumps all. There is nothing inherently 'innovative' about a larger screen just to be larger.

18. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

It's not equally pointless. The keynote is two weeks from today. It's topical. Unlike a hypothetical iPhone 2 years from now. There is an enormous difference. Acknowledge it or not, you are wrong here.

You can't make educated predictions. Technology will most likely dictate if/when Apple will increase the screen past 4". You literally have no opportunity right now to have a relevant debate about this. Just a lot of guessing and coming up with your own reasoning which will not match what Apple does moving forward.

Tim Collins had something to work with. The 4" rumor had been very strong before his phone call. He simply came up with a logical way of executing it. You in turn have no idea what Apple will do with respect to screen size in two years. Nobody on this forum does. Look, discuss this subject all you want, but it's really just a way to pass the time. Such a discussion isn't going to lead to anything substantial aside from generic reasons why they would move to 4.3" or 4.5", etc.

On a related note, why do you even care? You are talking about an occurrence that will take place two years from now. Just enjoy the 4" screen in the meantime and discuss the subject as the 2014 iPhone approaches.

19. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

The current rumor mill spinning around says the new iPhone will be 60" x 4".