iPhone 2G 1.1.4 able to activate with iTunes and AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Aug 18, 2012.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

2. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

If your AT&T sim card is already activated it should activate in iTunes when you plug the phone in.

3. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Thanks.
    It'll be a new activation. I'll need to go to AT&T for a fresh sim card and that's where I've heard there is difficulty.

Is it possible, just thinking outside the box, to use a sim adaptor and place my 4S sim in the iPhone 2G tray and have that work?

4. james92se macrumors 6502a

I wasn't able to activate my old iPhone in iTunes after a restore. I spent days trying to figure out a legit work around. Nobody seems to know exactly why but there is a serious glitch in iTunes preventing original iPhones to activate. There are huge complaint threads on the apple support forums attesting to this.

What I, and tons of other people, have had to do is jailbreak and "hacktivate". This is on 3.1.3 btw. The only issue with this is that push notifications don't work. After much trial and error, the only fix I found is "PushFix" from Cydia. It's $6 but works great.

And yes, you can use your iPhone 4S sim with an adapter. I am doing so as we speak

But a VERY IMPORTANT WARNING - tape the sim down in the adapter! Basically tape all the edges except the except the actual goldish sim contact area. Otherwise, when you pull the sim out, the sim contacts on your motherboard get caught on the sim adapter edge and will break off! Because the sim reader is attached directly to the motherboard and is not replaceable it will effectively require a motherboard replacement. I found this out the hard way and have since been using the free, very effective tape method.

5. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Perfect information as I too would have fallen victim.