iPhone 2G (3.0 JB) wakes up every couple of mins

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nickels, Jul 28, 2009.

1. nickels macrumors member

My wife's 2G 3.0 OS jailbroken iPhone has been acting wacky lately. If you push the sleep button on top and wait a few minutes the screen comes back on by itself. I tried a few things: made sure there were no unread messages, all unread email was cleared, restarted her iPhone... nothing worked. Her iPhone keeps waking itself up for no reason every few minutes.

Also, not sure if related, but her volume is also resetting to the middle. Not ringer volume, but sound volume. She notices cause she can't here the clicking of the virtual keyboard buttons.

Any clue as to what is going on?

2. awilder macrumors newbie

Me too

I'm having the same problem.

My original iPhone started this same behavior about four weeks ago while I was traveling in Connecticut. It was functioning fine, except that it would wake from standby on its own every minute or two. I took it to the Apple store, they ran diagnostics on it, and the "Genius" there told me he thought it was a software problem. He wiped the phone and restored it to the original factory settings. It happened once or twice again later that day, but then the problem didn't return.

Oh, one other clue: It would occasionally show a popup message of "This accessory is not designed to work with iPhone..." -- even when I hadn't plugged anything in. I thought it might be a dirty contact on the port on the bottom, but cleaning it didn't help.

However, it just started happening again! Last night I forgot to charge my phone, and this morning it was showing the "low battery -- plug me in" graphic. I charged it, and now that I've removed it from the charger, it wakes itself from standby every minute, on the minute. I also get the GSM buzz through my computer speakers each time it wakes up--maybe it's communicating with AT&T and that's what's waking it?

Also this morning, I *think* I saw it flash that Accessory warning message for a moment. Clearly, this is related somehow.

Going into Airplane mode doesn't help. Nor does a hard reboot/reset.

Nickels, did you ever find a solution?

Thanks!

3. awilder macrumors newbie

Also: I'm using a standard (NOT jailbroken) iPhone.

This problelm does NOT occur when the phone is plugged in -- only when it's on battery.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I've had this same issue as well as having my volume slider move and then go into headphone mode. I think it's something to do with the jack resetting, so it may be a hardware issue.

5. nickels thread starter macrumors member

Well, I did a factory restore and then upgraded my wife's iPhone to 3.1. Still the same stuff, along with the constant "This accessory is not designed to work with iPhone..." warning as well. I am willing to bet it is either an internal hardware issue or a dirty/messed-up dock connector.

The thing is her's will be fine for a few days with no odd symptoms, then it will wake up all the time, then it will get those pop-ups, and occasionally the volume doesn't work as it acts like it is connected to a dock.

At least it is still working, but it is a pain in the butt. I want to try cleaning the dock connector but I don't want to shock the bajesus out of myself or ruin it completely as it still works fine other then acting goofy.

At least we can rule out jailbreaking as the issue as her's was factory restored and it still does the same stuff.

6. awilder macrumors newbie

For what it's worth, I cleaned the contacts on the dock connector fairly thoroughly last month, and it didn't make any difference. Even used some electrical contact cleaner! Didn't help at all.

By the way, I found this exact same topic being disucssed on the Apple Support forums. It might be worthwhile for you to chime in there? This is clearly not a unique issue!

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2084803

7. nickels thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Looks like we are all in the same boat but at least one guy had a possible solution.

8. awilder macrumors newbie

Okay, this is weird. It seems to have fixed itself. Yesterday I left the house, and noticed that the phone stopped doing it. It's been about 30 hours (and I'm back home), and the problem still hasn't resurfaced.

I didn't do anything differently, I don't think. I had been charging the phone again... but I had charged it for awhile while troubleshooting, too... I'm stumped!

9. nickels thread starter macrumors member

Give it some more time, my wife's iPhone acts fine now and then too. Eventually it goes back to being wonkers.

10. DaveGravy macrumors newbie

Are you closed to your Digital TV Receiver?,,,In a Room with a flat screen receiving a DTV signal or has a cord with the DTV Plugged in, GSM Networks are Digital, and The new implement of the DTV network has caused an awful lot of interference, especially on unlocked iPhones for some reason, when Im at school my phone never acts up or wakes from sleep mode as soon as I get home the damn thing goes haywire wake sleep wake sleep over and over till its dead!!! Stupid accessory thing sounds like its picking up interference from your DTV antenna or maybe a neighbors...." CLASS ACTION SUIT" ah ha ha maybe a call to the FCC will get this fixed,...Or maybe not since we are using t-mobile on a At&t phone.

11. awilder macrumors newbie

Interesting idea, but I was having this problem in tons of places, not just near a DTV receiver. Was happening in both Connecticut and Los Angeles.

The "Genius" at the Apple Store had me wipe the phone and do a full reset (and NOT restore from iTunes--doing that reintroduced the bug). It was annoying, since I had to re-create all my settings, set up email again, etc., but it did the trick. Haven't had the problem since!

I have not yet updated to the latest OS for my phone -- I'm 0.0.1 version behind. If it ain't broke...

12. Lavatop macrumors newbie

Likely fix

My research and personal experience shows the fix is to clean the bottom and/or do a system preferences>reset all settings. I also have found:

1. Happens to iPhone 2.0 and 3g/3gs phones
    2. Happens to jailbroken and regular software phones
    3. Has happened since 2008 but some have had no problems/fine till now (Jun 2010) (...as mine was: orig iPhone 2.0, got accessory msg, got constant waking, got inability to turn off without uncommanded reboot).

All these symptoms are consistent with a dock pin issue. Reminds me of when my headphone jack was acting up - people couldn't hear me when I made calls, and the problem was that even tho I had removed the headphones, the jack of the iPhone didn't switch internally...the phone thought headphones were still attached and thus muted my phone's mic. Inserting/removing a headphone jack a few times fixed that problem.

I doubt its iPhone OS software related, apple would've fixed by now and the problem would've surfaced for all users at the same time. I suppose it could be an app conflict but many have fixed the issue (a) w/o deleting apps, (b) apps don't control the on/off of the phone, and (c) many have reported getting the problem w/o having installed apps for some time.

Best of luck out there. We're all in this together. When you get frustrated with your iPhone, remember the days of when you tried to get your palm pilot to play nice with your mac, and you'll have perspective. :):apple::)

13. shridutta macrumors newbie

iPhone wakes up automatically every minute

Hi All,
    Post reading all the posts and comparing with my experience following worked for my iPhone 2G-3.1.1(this is not a Software problem though)

Following was the sequence -

1. My iPhone was well in the beginning.
    2. Got some moisture or water one day in heavy rain fall( i was on a bike)
    3. I did a dry up process with rice Bags ( google it if you dunno)
    4. iPhone started working well - but There starts the original problem

my iPhone WAKES UP EVERY MINUTE (sometimes wrong accessory message too)

Cause - My phone got some CARBON (yes believe me it is carbon) in the openings (earpiece and dock port)

Solution -
    2 Earbud and little petrol (or any good alcoholic cleaner)

Process -
    ******SWITCH OFF your phone*******

1. Take First earbud and then do a dry clean by pushing earbud into headpiece(you will have to reduce size by pressing cotton so that it goes into earpiece easily)

2. Use second side of earbud to clean dock port (to remove dry carbon)

3. Use petrol to wet the earbud completely ( repeat step 1 and 2 with wet earbud with petrol)

Dry both the phone openings properly.

Switch on when you feel petrol is gone away with winds....

That is done... :)