iPhone 3.0 Is Re-Allowing You to Re-Download Apps for Free

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Applejuiced, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I read on Gizmodo today that 3.0 currently allows you to redownlaod apps you bought before without having to pay again.
    There were some posts before where people with 3.0 betas were getting a message to either pay again for the same app or redownload it again on your computer thru Itunes.
    Can someone check this out and let us know?

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

This is false. When I tried redownloading Crash Bandicoot Nitrokart, it tried making me pay.
    I know why they're doing this, but it still upsets me, a lot.

Attached Files:

3. Applejuiced thread starter macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I read on a thread here that apparently if you are redownloading it to the same device you originally bought it on, you can do it for free.

However, if you want to redownload it on a different device (for free) you have to sync it with the computer that has the app on it.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

Also if you have trouble

email or call apple as long as they see you bought the app and feel that you are using the app yourself they won't give you grief. I Imagine a few apps might cause hiccups I sold my 3G so I will be loading my apps on my 3GS as well.

6. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

What in the world could they do? They can't get your iPod or iPhone to allow it to pass with their magic powers through the phone line.

7. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

The Applications you downloaded are locked to the device you bought them on now. That is the only device that can re-download them for free.

This prevents you from giving me your username and password and allowing me to get your apps for free, along with 100 other people. There is no protection on the iPhone to limit the number of times an app can be downloaded, however iTunes will check to make sure that your computer is one of the 5 authorized computers for your account. It's all about ensuring each purchased app is only on your authorized devices (sync'd by computers you've authorized).

This wasn't a problem until 3.0 which allows you to log into multiple accounts on your iPhone.

Try downloading a new application to that device. Then delete it. You can re-download it directly to the device for free.

This will affect you when you share apps with other iPhones/iPod touches within your household, when you upgrade iPhones, exchange iPhone at a Genius Bar, etc. Basically any time you try to download an app directly to a device other than the one you used for purchasing the application.

8. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Seems Fair to me...

This seems fair to me.. Get a NEW 3Gs and Re-Load then..?? Looking forward to trying this out... I've only spent $30-40. so far anyway, but don't want to again if NOT required!!

:):apple:

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Ouch. Were you re-downloading to the same device?

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

My understanding is this:

If you re-download on your phone w/ ATT's network then you have to pay again.

If you re-download on your phone w/ Wi-Fi it's free.

If you re-download on your computer it's free.

So bottomline is the continuing trend of ATT telling customers to get off its lawn.

11. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

My account with my device? Yes
    Original device it was downloaded onto? No.
    I downloaded this onto my iPod touch back in October, but I got it replaced so technically they aren't the same device.

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

That could be why your receiving that message.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So once we get the 3G S (upgraded from previous generations), we can no longer re-download OTA for free? That's basically 100% of the apps purchased before the upgrade and of no help.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

15. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Strange, the bold part of of the pop up on the 3.0 screen shot in that article is different from the bold part in my pop up.