iPhone 3.0 Spotlight and Movie Rental Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theBigD23, Jun 14, 2009.

1. theBigD23 macrumors 6502a

Hello,
    A couple of iPhone 3.0 questions.

1. When swiping to the right and searching using spotlight, it looks like when searching for email, it does not search the server, only what is locally on the device. Is there a way to change this setting or do I have to go into the Mail app and search there?

2. If I were to rent a movie through the iPhone, do I only get an iPhone compatible copy or can I also watch it in a higher resolution on my computer or Apple TV. Is the rental for an iPhone only? Also, for TV purchases, do I get the full TV resolution when it transfer to iTunes?

Thanks!

2. theBigD23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

1. Mail itself has it's own search input, which will search the server. System-wide search is a joke. It's not like a computer where you can misplace something in a folder. If you know what you're searching for, it's trivial to open it's application to search for it.

2. I would assume so, it's the full iTunes store price, so you should get all the files you would get.

4. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Your email server has to support it to search emails not downloaded to your phone.

I like system wide search. Just because you don't use it, doesn't mean that it's a joke.

5. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

I just think it's not very useful, obviously if you're searching for something, you know what it is. Email is in Mail, music in iPod (or Music for iPod Touches), notes in Notes.

It seems silly to have system-wide search for an OS that doesn't have a filesystem.