iPhone 3.0: will there be any surprises (other than what's already been revealed)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Argelius, May 11, 2009.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

Just a random question, should anyone wish to speculate.

Now that Apple made it's official iPhone 3.0 announcement, and we are now up to the Beta-5 release of the new software, are there likely to be any cool new surprises when then software is officially released for public consumption?

I'm just curious if we've basically seen all the new features, or if Apple will (if it can) toss anything new into the mix at the last minute. (Couple of things come to mind -- a week view in Calendar, and SMS templates (so you can easily compose frequently sent messages).

Thanks for your informed, if rampant, speculation!

2. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured.
    I guess the only surprises remain with what changes there are in the new hardware (the rumors of which sound pretty minor -- faster processor and better camera...). Sure wish they'd surprise us with a physical keyboard. I'm tired of typing "Bern" when I mean "been"...

3. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I find these quite major updates... especially the RAM. What other hardware revelations would you expect??

Won't happen.

4. taran420 macrumors 6502a

actually nobody knows for sure if there will be or wont be any new surprises. Ive found that there are always a few stuff added in with the final releases, not major, but few minor things which are quite handy.

Maybe they announce something in June prior to the final release of 3.0

just wait till its released and then we'll know for sure

5. Yasic macrumors member

Yasic

do you mean the OS or the phone? i haven't seen anything official about a new phone

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

A physical keyboard would be a major step backwards in Apple's innovation. There is going to be some nice hardware surprises, but of course not everyone will be pleased.

When it comes to the software, basically what you see is what you get... That is the point of beta testing... BUT, there will be some new features revealed with the new hardware. Nothing that will be new for the 3G, but software features that will correlate with the new hardware features.

7. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

MobileMe and GPS were certainly not in the iPhone 2.0 beta. But they were all in the 2.0 software.

Yes, GPS was a software feature that correlated with the new hardware. But the point still stands that with the first iPhone, most point upgrades, and MobileMe/GPS 2.0 there was no external beta testing.

I believe Apple showed most of the new features in March to take most talking points away from Palm. I can't think of any new features we'd see. But the past has shown that the final versions of Apple's iPhone software has not been in public beta. To say "no" as if you know is just haphazard speculation.

8. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I very much doubt there'll be anything new that isn't new hardware specific.

There likely will be some stuff for the new hardware though.

I do sorta wonder if, given the rumours of a video editing/uploading app for the new hardware, we'll get something similar on all hardware for the audio recorder... Probably not in 3.0.

Phazer

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The secret 3.0 feature will be the ability to customize SMS sounds. Haha! YEAH RIGHT!!!

10. svndmvn Guest

Some multitasking, which could be exclusive to the new device and a GUI overhaul.

11. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I'd think any remaining surprises would involve new built-in apps or new features in the already existing apps. If the new iPhone does indeed include video recording functionality I wouldn't be surprised to see a new YouTube app that allows you to upload videos directly from the iPhone to YouTube.

12. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

If its a surprise, how would we know about it now then? :D