iPhone 3G £299 PAYG?!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by touchman, Jun 30, 2008.

1. touchman macrumors member

The title says it all, i cannot believe the price of this thing?, "and it only costs $199" as mr jobs said, this is crazy, and it's still locked to 02 also, so it's another win win win for 02!!:mad: i know it's £99 on contract, but contract is the work of the devil

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/15681/16705/iphone-3g-payg-pricing-confirmed.phtml

update

Just saw this on another post:

Pay & Go Tariffs for iPhone

You'll be able to choose one of our standard Pay & Go tariffs to use with your iPhone. The more you top-up each month, the more free minutes or texts you'll receive.

Minimum top-Up each month £10-£14 £15-£29 £30

^^^^^^^

I don't get it?

2. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

well it actually costs £99 + 18*£35 = £729, so quit bitchin if you want the best phone on the market you have to pay for it. What did you expect? A free iPhone? You have to complete "20 gold offers" for that!

3. touchman thread starter macrumors member

I'd pay £500 for it if it was genuinely "sim free", as i have done with many other phones. I don't want to change networks, and i don't like the idea of a "minimum top up", i want to be able to go and by the iphone, go home and put any sim i like in it, and i'm sure many others would to.

4. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

TBH that's quite a good price.

You can't really complain that it's not the same price as a bargain basement phone. Remember it is a Touch as well as being a phone.

5. touchman thread starter macrumors member

As previously mentioned, i'm not realy bothered about the price, it's the ball and chain 02 put round your neck when you buy it, to start with your locked to 02!, and you have to top up a certain amount every month?

6. TomB88 macrumors member

It's actually quite a good deal, considering many countries haven't got a PAYG version. The reason the price is higher is because unlike on a contract, the cost of the phone is not highly subsidised by the carrier. It's a very good deal for people who do not use their phone regularly enough to warrant getting an expensive contract.

You do not have to top up a minimum every month. You can top up as much or as little as you want every month, but if you top up more than those amounts you get a certain number of free texts or minutes. So, if you choose to top up £15 a month, you get that £15 to spend on PAYG and a small bundle of free minutes or texts.

7. touchman thread starter macrumors member

It's starting to make sense now, thanks for clearing that up for me lol, the only issue i have now is changing networks, do you think keeping my number is an option on payg?, i know you can on contract!

8. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

You can in Ireland anyway, so I'd guess it's similar in the UK (we copy you - a LOT:D). I'm a bit of a network whore, changing about to whoever gives me the best prices for my pattern of usage.

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

No you dont have to top up anything each month. You can just unlock it and chuck it whatever Sim you like. But 3G will cost a fortune that way.

10. TomB88 macrumors member

You're welcome. And yes, you can keep your current number on PAYG. When the O2 prices went up briefly last week I'm quite sure it stated that you just needed to go through the usual PAC code routine to keep your current number.