iPhone 3G 16GB White exchanging for the 6th time because of manufacturing defects.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dsm2gst, Jul 15, 2008.

1. dsm2gst macrumors member

I will be exchanging for the 6th time for an iPhone 3G 16GB white. Here's a list of reasons for my returns.

1. Loose ringer/switch
    2. Dead pixel
    3. Smudge under the screen
    4. Dust under the screen
    5. Backlight was going through the left side of the bezel.
    6. Dust under the screen

It doesn't surprise me since it's made in China. Anyone else experienced this?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I think you should just not get a phone at all with your bad luck :(

3. not2bright macrumors newbie

not2bright

I sympathize. See my post, My 4th Logic Board & Power Supply- DOA.

4. dsm2gst thread starter macrumors member

Actually I have a 16GB 3G Black and that one is flawless. Not sure why I'm having bad luck with the white for my gf.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm?

Maybe it's your gf. Can you exchange her?

6. dsm2gst thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry, but that's good to hear that I'm not alone.

7. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

*sigh* You're far from alone...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=522427

I need to exchange mine as soon as i can... :(

A dead pixel isn't that big of a deal. Mine has one, too and I'm fine with it, but the rest of the problems are the things that made me complain. You should've kept the second, dead pixels usually go away after awhile.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It was made in China and you're still alive. Be thankful. :)

Would anybody else pay an extra $50 if they would make it in the U.S.? Surely it has to at least save money on shipping the darn things (not to mention giving money to Americans instead of what's probably a Chinese place that pays workers nowhere near what they're worth).

9. dantay macrumors regular

dantay

I think dust under the screen is "normal" I have experiance of 3 mine and two mates and all 3 have specs of dust under the glass out the box! I'd take mine back but other than the dust its spot on.....think i'd prob get one of the other probs or maybe all of them!

10. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Dust under the screen is certainly not normal.
    I don't have any on any of my iPhone's
    1st or 2nd G

11. bobbba macrumors regular

You also posted under iPhone tips and tricks forum, desparately seeking attention?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5834134&posted=1#post5834134

12. dantay macrumors regular

dantay

Oh i'm not saying it should be there.....just a lot of units have this and i'm sure a lot of people dont notice it?

13. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

post a few pics of these issues on you phone. i'm skeptical about the severity of them.

pics or it isn't true.

14. xpla macrumors regular

*lol* and what if, he doesn't has any pictures but the guys at the apple store or so saw his iPhones, is it then also not true that he had is issues? Sorry, but this is BS.

15. kimberlyd. macrumors newbie

i will be exchanging mine for the 2nd time
    1. power button protruding out
    2. plastic to chrome not flush on the bottom

16. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

The power button proteudes out on all iPhones. It is not supposed to be flush to the case.

17. iNfowarrior macrumors member

I have purchased 2 iPhones in my life. One on Jun 29th a year ago, another on July 11 a few days ago. Neither phone has ever had any problem...at all.

Which is why I'm very skeptical when I hear reports of defect after defect.

Actually, I'm not skeptical, I'm calling b.s. Its statistically impossible that you received 6 defective iPhone 3g in a row. It simply didn't happen.

Stop breaking them, other people are still waiting in line for it.:cool:

18. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

and the truth has been spoken.

that's what happens when you drop the price of something...it allows all the kiddies to buy it....and we all know how little kiddies treat their "toys"....

19. stevin macrumors regular

I'm just going to throw this out there.... (also i'll disclaim that i did go through 3 2.5g iphones over the course of the first 6 months.)

Why don't you just suck it up and use your working perfectly fine brand new very sought after iphone 3g and let other people get them too.

Its the people that are returning them 6 times in 3 days that are devastating the stock at apple stores. (I'm saying yours isn't an isolated case)

Its a launch product. It should work perfectly/be manufactured perfectly... but just like 1st gen iphones they just arent.

Don't you think you'd be better off waiting a few days till they get a different batch in?

I'm not angry or blaming anybody just patiently waiting for my direct fulfillment to come in. Just figured i'd throw it out there and say that waiting a few days might benefit your gf as well as the 100's of people on apple lines.

Again.. not trying to pick fights here :)

20. stevin macrumors regular

haha... I guess we all had the same idea at the same time...

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Ditto. Either we're extremely lucky, or there are a few extremely unlucky people.

In any case, it DOES seem statistically improbable that the ones exchanging their iPhones have to do it 4, 5, 6 times and still aren't happy, while most everyone else gets theirs right the first time. Even with a high rate of defects, then exchanges would be across the board, and most people would usually get a "just right" unit after the first or second exchange.

And if the defects truly were massive, the news sites would be all over it. And I'm not talking about the mac-geek enclave we hover around, but the mainstreamers: New York Times, CNN, etc. Finding a way to rip Apple a new one in the press is the New Black, and this would be perfect, if it were true.

I'm just sayin'...

22. cantankerously macrumors regular

There are always defects but 6 in a row? C'mon meow.

23. cantankerously macrumors regular

User error

24. slate1 macrumors regular

I've got a noticeable scratch on my chrome bezel. Does it bother me? Sure...

Is it worth going and exchanging it for a new one? I doubt it - I'm quite sure in 6 months time it won't be the only scratch on the chrome...

25. BackFocus macrumors member

I had ATT setup call forwarding on my iPhone 3g right after they activated it. This way, i can keep it in the box and it will forward all my calls to a cheapy Razr, thus keeping my 3g in immaculate condition. I have had non of the problems you've describe, but I might, because I have not actually seen the phone, as it is still in the box.