Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

argonzero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Hello everyone,

I have had this issue which I could not find anything online about. I currently have two iPhone 3g and one iPhone 3gs which have been upgraded to 4.1/4.2.1 with baseband 5.14.02. After it upgrades, none of them accepted the original ATT SIM or any SIM from ATT. Once the phones were plugged in to iTunes, it would say "SIM is unsupported". I tried Jailbreaking them once more, and hacktivating but these efforts did not resolve the issue. Eventually, I had to use Redsn0w and upgrade these phones to BB 6.15 and unlock with UltraSn0w in order for them to work with the ATT SIM. Hopefully these phones don't continue to have issues for their users, but has anyone run into this same issue? It seems really strange to me that the stock firmware and ATT SIM would not work.

argonzero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Strangely enought these were all purchased from good friends which had used ATT previously. I had used my own SIM card prior to upgrading fine, but once 4.1/4.2.1 was applied, any ATT SIM did not work anymore. Really strange, but it occured thrice so I'm sure that others have experienced the same. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this situation.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
When you jb your phones, did you select hacktivation? People on AT&T, who select hacktivation, find their SIM isn't recognized.

Whenever you restore your phone with the virgin OS, does the SIM card work then?

argonzero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
I used RedSn0w for the last JB for 4.2.1 and 4.1, and only select install Cydia as an option.

Even with the stock firmware, once it updated to 4.1 or 4.2.1 and bb 5.14.02 it does not recognize my sim. I plug it into the computer thinking that itunes just needs to activate it, but it does not.

Two of the phones were jail broken prior, one was not and then jail broken.

Strange issue...

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
As a previous posted said the only reason an ATT phone would not work with an ATT sim is if the phone was hactivated. Some of the new Jailbreak tools does the hactivation as a default unless an ATT sim is in the phone.

The best way to avoid problems is to keep the ATT sim in the phone when doing a restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.