iphone 3g 5.12.01 3.1.3 wants to update to 4.2.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by adityarane, Jul 27, 2011.

1. adityarane macrumors newbie

hi,
    I have an iphone 3g on 5.12.1 and 3.1.3. I want to update it to 4.2.1 preserving my baseband to 5.12.1 . I searched the forums and found one thread similar but non-conclusive. I have a mac and have pwnage installed. Now I should create a custom 4.2.1 firmware right? Any tutorial? because iclarified is suprisingly confusing for the first time ! And i need an unlock and i dont want the ipad baseband! :D

Thanks,
    :)

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Use the iClarified tutorial but skip the iPad part. Make the custom 4.2.1 firmware, restore with it in iTunes. Then use Ultrasn0w to unlock.

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Pwnage tool is the right tool, but you will need SHSH. If you have SHSH for the version of software you want to restore and you have original SIM. Make sure original SIM is in phone. If you don't have original sim chose the activate option in pwnage tool. Then do this.

1. Create custom firmware with pwnage tool.
    2. Use pwnage tool to put the phone in pwned DFU mode. Follow the count down that it provides.
    3. Open Tiny umbrella but do not start TSS server, leave it open during restore. This will modify your host file and point it to Cydia.
    4. Close pwnage tool and open Itunes.
    5. Do shift restore and point to custom ipsw.
    6. Phone will restore to custom firmware and activate.
    DONE.

4. adityarane thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the original sim.At & t. I ll proceed in some time. :D Hope it goes well!

5. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

I would still recommend you to stay on 3.1.3 :)
    Also 3G doesnot need shsh.

6. adityarane thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm actually i need to use certain features like adding ebooks thru itunes and stanza which are not possible in 3.1.3. I hope it wont be terribly slow :rolleyes:

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Create a custom 4.2.1 firmware with Pwnagetool. This will preserve your unlockable baseband (5.12 is unlockable :)). Then, you will put your phone into "pwned" DFU mode with pwnagetool or redsn0w which will allow you to restore to the custom firmware. Then, go into iTunes and hold the option key while clicking the 'restore' button. A window will pop up and you will select your custom firmware. Once you have restored to it, you will also be jailbroken. Open up Cydia and install Ultrasn0w. :)

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It will be slow as hell.
    Give it a shot, you can always go back down to 3.1.3

9. adityarane thread starter macrumors newbie

guys do i need to save my shsh if i want to return to 3.1.3 . I havent upgraded yet! I have an iphone 3g..Somebody ^ said that 3g doesnt require shsh.saved..

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No shsh blobs for 3.1.3 iPhone 3G.
    For anything higher then they are required.

11. adityarane thread starter macrumors newbie

I followed everything what awadee said and my at & t sim was inside all the time :) and its working :) ! Ios 4.2.1 unlocked and jb! Thanks guys..make sure to update with custom firmware though..:D;)

12. bikely macrumors newbie

clarify

My eyes are bugged out from googling and reading forums... maybe someone knows what to do.

I have an iphone 3g. Bought when I was in Asia, back to N.America. Had to unlock and jailbreak it to use my new SIM card.

Running 3.1.3, modem firmware 05.12.01 currently, as I did the jailbreak about a year and a bit ago.

I want to update to the newest iphone software (says 4.2 in itunes), because many apps I try to get now wont run on anything lower than 4, and even apps i have updated wont run on it.

I tried to use tinyumbrella to save my SHSH but not sure it worked. Im not sure if I should use greenpoison, pwnage, or ultrasnow. Any advice is so appreciated.

13. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You don't need the shsh saved to upgrade to 4.2.1, since the 3G can only go that high.

Just create a custom firmware using SnowBreeze or PwnageTool and you're good to go. Be sure, when restoring have TinyUmbrella's TSS Server running in the background.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

All correct till the TU TSS server.:D
    You said it above, he dont need shsh blobs when restoring to 4.2.1 on an iphone 3G since that was its last firmware version released so there's also no need for TU:)

15. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Hehe yeah :rolleyes:

16. bikely macrumors newbie

you all are awesome.

Step by step, I first update iTunes to the newest version.
    Then plug my iphone in, update it to version 4.2.
    At this point my iphone is locked and not jailbroken.

Before this, run the TinyUmbrella to save my SHSH to 05.12.01 just in case, correct?

Now run UltraSnow and it will give me a carrier unlock and jailbreak. I don't care if Im running new baseband or 5.12.01. But upgrading to 4.2 will at least give me new apps, updates to apps ive bought, google plus, latitude, etc.

I realize I sound like a moron here, thanks for the patience!

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

shsh blobs are for firmware versions, not basebands like SHSH to 05.12.01
    But you got a pretty good idea about the rest.

18. bikely macrumors newbie

I get super stressed doing this, last time my iphone died on me and reset to new baseband I had to wait for a jailbreak to come out for a month. May try later tonight, may also need a stiff drink.