iPhone 3G and "premature aging" - assuming the usage timers of the old iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scaredpoet, Jul 12, 2008.

1. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Well THIS is annoying.

I upgraded to an iPhone 3G yesterday, backing up my old iPhone and syncing to my new one from backup.

Unfortunately, it looks like the backup was a little TOO successful.

If I go into Settings -> General -> Usage, I find that old iPhone AND my new iPhone now have a "Lifetime" call time of 8 Days, 12 Hours. Yeah, both of them.

While I don't plan on selling my iPhone 3G anytime soon, often the amount of "battle action" a phone has seen can be a determining factor in the resale value of a device down the road. It is a bit irksome that it's showing more usage than it has actually seen (much less, than is physically possible).

Also: this is a Week 27 iPhone (manufactured week of June 29, 2008).

Anyone else noticing this?

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

my understanding is that, that counter resets to 0 when you restore your phone so I wouldnt worry about that counter

3. scaredpoet thread starter macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Your understanding is correct for all BUT the "lifetime counter." It survives a reset. Hence the label, "Lifetime." A reset, and my 3G still thinks I've been talking on it for more than 8 Days in total.

Unfortunately, that Lifetime counter is now counting the Lifetimes of two phones, not one.

4. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

That number is completely meaningless. You can reset it to zero if you restore your phone and do not restore a backup from your old phone.

5. scaredpoet thread starter macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Thanks for the non-answer. I'll send feedback to Apple.

6. b1gted macrumors regular

b1gted

I have the same exact issue as you. I looked at my lifetime usage and it said 12 hours! I was like, this 3G Iphone is used!!!! Then I looked at the lifetime counter of my original Iphone and sure enough it imported the lifetime usage of it to my new 15 minute lifetime usage phone!!!