iPhone 3G back plastic broke off? What is this orange?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yoshi Yogurt, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

[​IMG]

Yea so this iphone has been through hell and back has obviously broken off and I'm just wondering what the orange is under the charger...

2. verwon, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

3. Yoshi Yogurt thread starter macrumors regular

No it can't be, there is more black plastic under it. I'm thinking it's a sheet of orange between 2 pieces of black plastic that make up the entire back. Maybe a heat spreader of some sort?

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Everything is shown in that tear down I linked to on ifixit, check it out and I'm sure you'll figure out what it is.

5. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Its what I believe to be an antenna in a flex material that was popular for the time period,the same flex configuration also carries the microphone and supplies power to the speakers along with being part of a pre assembled assembly that also acts as the charge/sync port.I actually purchased one on ebay just yesterday to repair a co workers phone.

6. Yoshi Yogurt thread starter macrumors regular

Well that teardown thing is incredibly unhelpful. It's got to be the EMI shield. So it should be fine if it breaks or gets scratched up

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Are you asking for confirmation of this? Because you're not gonna get it here. :)

8. Yoshi Yogurt thread starter macrumors regular

Why can't I get confirmation here?

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Because I (like most people here) didn't tear ours up or tear them apart. All I can get you are links. I watched a quick teardown video and there was nothing in the phone like that. Was it previously repaired?

10. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

It is an antenna. It's attached to the backside of the speaker/ dock connector assembly.

11. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Wow. Still rocking a 3G! Maybe that's a sign to upgrade! ;)

12. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

I agree with ^ looks like your phone wants you to get the new one. ha. It's a world of difference. It's like having a dial up modem...

13. Yoshi Yogurt thread starter macrumors regular

I'm hoping to get a 4S from a friend once he upgrades. This 3G was bought about 15 months ago from a friend for $40 with the box, charger, headphones and all paper work. The back near the dock was cracked when I got and that piece just broke off.

This phone is beat up as hell, but I only use it to text, call, and use the ipod function. It plays monopoly and a few other old games on ios4 so theres that.

Internet works decently on wifi in times of desperation(I have no data plan.)

14. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Crack that sucker open!
    You just won yourself a chocolate factory!

15. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Many iphones of that era cracked right there,here is a pic of one that I purchased today,and also a picture of the one I said I ordered for a friend of mine to fix his mic.

16. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Sorry didnt upload first time.

Attached Files:

17. Yoshi Yogurt thread starter macrumors regular

Would the iphone lose signal if this antenna were to break off or be cut/knicked in anyway?

I need this thing to last till January, not going back to my slide phone lol

18. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Well, it is the PRIMARY antenna of the phone ;)

I say put some gorilla tape on the back or a cover which are cheap for the 3G