iPhone 3G Broke, but bought it at AT&T store, where to bring it back?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Khryz, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

My silent ringer switch broke off my iPhone 3G this morning (1.5 weeks old) and fell off into my hand.

It sucks but no biggy, searching for 5 minutes and I see it's a huge problem.

Anyway, as the title explains I bought it at an AT&T store when my entire family and I moved over to AT&T and all got new phones. So what do I do?

1) Can I still go to the Apple Store? I hear you don't even need a receipt when you bring it to the Apple Store? Will they replace it no questions asked? Do I have to bring it to the same AT&T store?

2) And I JUST installed the BSE skins front and back on my phone 2 days ago. Do I have to take those off before I bring it in? Or can I leave them on?

Thanks guys!

2. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

apple store..

id just leave it on.... if u take it off.. its useless...

id bring everything you bought with your phone...box, cables , etc..

they may just swap it out with a brand new one off the shelf.... ive read that happen to some members...

3. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Just leave the invisible skins on? That won't affect the warranty or apples decision to replace it?

4. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

I doubt they will notice... And if they do, they know what it is and what it does...

If you're concerned, just take it off... I wouldn't cuz I'm lazy...

5. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I can just leave it on because it will be a bitch to take off. I just don't want to get all the way there and have them be like, "Nope, can't take it back you altered the device with this skin."

Secondly, what're the chances that I can get a free replacement from the AT&T store? Because that is 3 minutes from my house while the nearest Apple store is 1 hour away.

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

If you get a good at&t manager they may since its only been a week and a half. I would take the bse off just incase. Its not hard. I took off my Invis Shield to get a BSE. It just peels off. Apple will def replace. Plus its worth the drive to apple just so you dont have to deal with at&t.

7. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm going to call my AT&T store and see what they say about it. If it sounds like a crazy process then I'll just drive to my nearest Apple Store and be done with it.

This sucks my BSE skin looks so perfect on my phone I don't think I can do this good of a job again! Lol.

EDIT: Just ripped off my BSE set-up and it was really easy. Weird to have the phone naked though - it feels so delicate.

8. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm new to AT&T, but I was just reading about a supposed 14-day period after buying the iPhone that you can take it back and get a new phone from an AT&T store? I'm still within the 2 weeks now.

Then I'm also reading that apparently AT&T cannot exchange any iPhones and instead they send everyone to the Apple Stores to do that stuff. What should I do?

9. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Call and find out? The time you waste spending on here could have been taken care of with a 2 min phone call

10. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

so true man. I called and they told me to go to the apple store without asking me anything LOL