iphone 3G Ichat?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by msarway, Jun 10, 2008.

1. msarway macrumors 6502

msarway

How come no ichat? on the new 3G did they forget it. what a bummer!

2. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Third party developers could do it. Would require they run their own server, though...

3. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Didn't expect Apple to put it on the iPhone, and they didn't/probably won't until the fourth or fifth iPhone revision lol.

But anyways, AOL Instant Messenger will hold me over I guess.

4. rolex54 macrumors 6502

some third party will do it, just like they have with a jailbroken iPhone

5. stiphone macrumors regular

I guess I would still have to keep my iPhone jailbroken to have messenger capabilities. Would be nice if they include it in with the 2.0 software update.

6. dombookpro macrumors member

Here's what I reckon:

Apple are not gonna waste resources and manpower programming something that a third party will do... and that is why they haven't added various applications. Why bother when someone else can do the work. So, AIM and an iChat client will appear in July

D

7. automatickyle macrumors regular

Did you not watch the Keynote? They demoed an instant messaging program on there to describe the background programming. I guarantee you there will be an instant message 3rd party app.

8. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

I don't understand is the inability of the iPhone to not be able to run aim or any program in the backround? From my understanding if I am in aim and I goto the home screen aim will close. Really apple!?!?

(sorry to hijack the thread)

9. ryanxslabaugh macrumors member

There will be a 3rd party application and you never know they could release it in an update in a few months but i wouldn't count on that.

There are pictures of SMS Text messages that i thought were iChat because of the way the conversation was arranged but it was just SMS texting. You can see it on the Apple website when you click on iPhone and click on SMS Texting.

10. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

My understanding is that Apple will supply developers with a "push" service for 3rd party apps -- the benefit of this is that it preserves the battery (Scotty Too Hotty Forstall explained this in the keynote) -- look for the knock on Windows Mobile scene -- it's explained during that

11. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Apple has that covered in the keynote.

It will work on a "push" method.

12. izzysanime macrumors newbie

I found a link to http://blog.twenty08.com/mobilechat/ for an iM for iPhone. Does AT&T charge the IM as a text message like they do on the regular phones. Or is it part of the data package?

13. msarway thread starter macrumors 6502

msarway

thanks all but what i wanted to know was about the video ichat. now that would be so cool.

14. mike000 macrumors member

Did they mention anything about MMS features? Or will that hopefully show up on the AppStore?

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

iChat is nice because it works between multiple IM clients. I use .mac (aim, I guess) and Jabber a lot. But these apps on the iPhone, as far as we know from announced stuff, will only allow one service at a time. Hopefully we can see an adium-like app, but that might be wishful thinking.

16. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

no mms yet
    only pics though apps to internet

17. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Except we already know AOL is coming out with an AIM app. Atleast we think we know this.

18. S Brake macrumors regular

I'm still having a hard time seeing why there is such a big want for ichat on the iPhone, maybe someone can enlighten me.

19. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

One reason is it allows you to communicate without texting. It also allows you to communicate on a wider basis with friends. Every phone has it and is used greatly. Has anyone thought that if Apple made an iChat for the phone AT&T would charge it as texts, so they are leaving it up to 3rd parties?

20. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

touche'

thank you, cleared that up

21. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

that perspective still doesn't make sense to me. like yea i understand the worry of instant messages taking away from texting. but not everyone is online all the time. when i had a sidekick 3, i used aim alot but i texted WAY more often.

22. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

But why would Apple make a IM program when an 3rd party developer can do it and sell it on the App Store and because apple know that ALOT of people want it. They would have 30% of the price that the 3rd party developer will sell it for on the App store, say they sell it for £1 that 's 30p to apple for every one sold. But thats if they sell it at a price, one way to do it is to put it on the App store for FREE, but i doubt that will ever happen.