iPhone 3G, OS 3.0 Jailbreak, erase personal info w/o losing jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BoxerRumble, Sep 17, 2010.

1. BoxerRumble macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I have a quick question. Is it possible to somehow clear my personal data (photos, contacts, settings, etc) without losing my OS 3.0 and jailbreak? I am about to sell my phone on eBay and would like to sell it jailbreak/unlocked. Is it very unsafe to just manual delete all my apps/settings/information and then ship it to the new buyer?

If this above is not possible, is there anything I can do besides "erase all content and settings" and then restoring with OS 4.1 and wait for the jailbreak that's coming for it?

2. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

A 3G can be restored very easily to any 3.x.x firmware without the need of hashes.
    Why not just restore to 3.1.2 (very stable), choose set up as new to get rid of all your settings, then re-JB and UL.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

iPhone 3G, OS 3.0 Jailbreak, erase personal info w/o losing jailbreak?

You cannot do that.

4. BoxerRumble thread starter macrumors member

Now, I would love to do what you just said, restore to 3.1.2 and re-JL and UL. How do I go about restoring to 3.1.2? I looked around but there are a lot of different information about the different phones with different situations.

Do I just download the 3.1.2 FW from somewhere and do a shift click restore? If you could point me to the right direction that would be great, thank you so much.

5. BoxerRumble thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so after looking around a bit more, I think I can restore to 3.1.2 with iTunes using the 3.1.2 ipsw(or ipws?). iClarified's instruction for JBing actually has the step to install the 3.1.2 FW.

My question is, will restoring the 3.1.2 change the baseband? Right now I have 4.26.08 and I would like to be able to unlock it also. Thanks for the help.

6. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Use Pwnage Tool 3.1.5 with a 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 firmware and you'll keep your 4.26.08 baseband. :)

7. BoxerRumble thread starter macrumors member

I read the 3.1.2's baseband is still unlockable with ultrasn0w so as long as I can unlock it, I don't mind the baseband changing. Thanks for looking out though! I appreciate the help.

8. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

All basebands except the brand new baseband installed by 4.1 are unlockable now with Ultrasn0w.

9. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I guess you didn't read about some of the wifi issues some people have with unlocking 5.11.07 baseband. :) 4.26.08 is pretty solid so stick with if you can.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That was only when using blacksnow to unlock.
    Ultrasnow unlocks several baseband versions and it wont make any difference wether he's on 04.26.08 or 05.11.07

11. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Ah, you are correct, however I would try it with "known good" baseband and if any issues, upgrade the baseband to the latest ultrasn0w unlockable. Ah, too many years in IT support. :)

12. BoxerRumble thread starter macrumors member

Just another quick question, when I restore with iTunes, do I have to do it in DFU mode or just..plug it in and restore and set up as new? I am trying to sell, does it matter if it's DFU mode or not?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It doesn't matter. Just setup as new after.