iPhone 3G out of stock nation wide (more or less(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pedromiguel20, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Pedromiguel20 macrumors member

Yep, well that's what Apple is claiming http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/

Very little stores have iphone left (honolulu and 5th ave store with the 16gb white)

That's actually incredible . . . california 0 iphones !!!!

No more iPhones for 2-3 days i guess then !

2. GhostToMost macrumors newbie

I think it's because there are no shipments on Sunday.

3. jakeacc macrumors regular

Not true. Many Apple Stores have been getting new stock of iPhones almost everyday and selling out in a few hours.

And people who have ordered the iPhone through AT&T are getting their phones too. (slowly, but surely)

Just because it shows that they are out of stock by the end of the day doesn't mean that new stock hasnt arrived and sold during that day.

4. Pedromiguel20 thread starter macrumors member

Well they won't get louds so the will eventually sell out hours after the shipments since the demand is huge.

There are 200 apple stores in the us and generally the shipments are 200 iphones (depends). 40 000 iphones daily - you can't do that much iphones so quick and then ship them to the whole world. You have to know that 1 day to make an iphone - 2 days for shipment. 3 days in almost every case for a divelery to come..

5. spazattack674 macrumors regular

I don't know if this makes a difference, but when I look at the status, it shows stock for Sunday July 20th, is it possible that they haven't updated for tomorrow's shipments yet?

Attached Files:

6. motownflip macrumors regular

patience grasshoppa. seek and you shall find. Seriously though, lack of product shouldn't surprise you.

7. busterbluth macrumors 6502

I agree, I called the 5th ave store today after I tried to get one this morning. They got a shipment last night, but nothing today, so they ran out quick. I dont think anyone really knows whether or not there are more iphones already built, or if we have to wait. My guess is that there are plenty ready to be shipped tomorrow morning, and should be arriving at apple stores around 9am...It will still be hard to get though, Interest has to be dwindling, people have to return to work at some point. Im on vaca this week so im gonna try every morning, atleast ill be up early and can have productive day :)

8. NoOtherOne macrumors member

NoOtherOne

Good luck! I can't get one until Wednesday, because that's when I'm eligible for an upgrade through AT&T, and I'm hoping to be able to track one down that day.

9. chic macrumors newbie

Wow, I'm glad I got mine on Friday.

10. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Doesn't look like it so far ... :D

11. NoOtherOne macrumors member

NoOtherOne

Checked in on Apple's site last night to see tomorrow's inventories and it looked like only 4 stories in the U.S. had ANY in stock, and those only had one (or maybe two) models at most.

Not looking good for me getting mine on Wednesday! :(

Anyone having better like at AT&T stores?

12. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

most likely...

Probably no shipments on Sunday but the Apple Stores will be getting their shipments again Monday.

So stores will be getting deliveries and that stock will be rolling out the door often same day.

Best thing to do, either get there early on a hunch or call the store before popping over.

At some point the daily shipments will actually be in the store more than a day but not getting close to that yet.

13. klex macrumors regular

As one who was able to get a phone, I think this shortage is absolutely ridiculous. Apple knew it has a hot item, especially with the price drop. This is just poor planning, and someone in logistics needs to be relocated. This has not come as a surprise to anyone, and no one from Apple has even said anything about how "the demand has really far exceeded all our expectations".

Shame on you Apple for creating a fake higher demand than supply.

14. packetjunkie macrumors regular

Scored one in about an hour at Fair Oaks Mall in Virginia on Friday afternoon. They were out of 8gbs, but got 2 16gbs (one black, one white) at 4pm in the afternoon (was one of the last 4 or 5 they had on hand that day). Rep said they were getting shipments almost daily.

15. rdstoll macrumors 6502

Apparently only three stores have the phone... 5th Ave, one in New Hampshire, and Pleasanton, CA. And apparently the word is direct fulfillment at AT&T is approaching 3+ weeks now.

I guess I don't feel like such an idiot for waiting four hours for my phone last Tuesday while passerbys sneered that they would wait a week and just walk in and get the phone when the demand died down!

16. dancavallaro macrumors regular

Yeah, totally. I'm incredibly glad that I sucked it up and waited 2 hours in line last Monday to get my phone. Here I was a couple weeks ago thinking that I would be able to stroll into an Apple store Saturday the 12th and pick up an iPhone no problem. I had no idea the demand would be this crazy.

17. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Just how does anyone create "Fake" demand? I truly don't understand that concept. People are still lining up at 5AM at some Apple stores to try to get the iPhone. That does not sound like any kind of "fake" demand to me.

I can certainly imagine that Apple was unprepared for the initial demand for the iPhone 3G. But then again, they did report sales of over 1 million units (worldwide) in just three days, a feat that the original iPhone (US only) took 70-something days to meet.

Had Apple just ordered the same supply for the 3G launch as the first launch, they'd have sold out the first day. Had they just doubled the supply, they'd have run out the first weekend. I'm sure Apple did plan for a much higher demand, but I'm not sure anyone could have planned for this...

To quote Field Marshall Helmuth Carl Bernard von Moltke (1800-1891):

"No battle plan survives contact with the enemy."

Apple has to be responsive, not only to the consumers of it's products, but to the shareholders. Far, far worse for Apple than having a product shortage would have been over producing the product for a demand that never materializes.

I agree that it is quite surprising that, a week out, Apple hasn't released a statement regarding the short supply of the iPhone (as of my writing this, at least). Especially that on Monday morning, the stock checker shows nearly every Apple Store sold out.

Once the initial demand is satisfied for all those who just have to have it, and have the ability to hang out on line in the wee hours, there will be plenty to go around.

Who knows? We may even be able to buy them online from AT&T!

:apple::apple:

18. klex macrumors regular

What's so hard to understand. It's quite simple. By deliberately either producing less phones than market demands or by deliberately delivering an insufficient amount of phones to the store. But maybe you weren't reading it right. I didn't say they created a fake demand. The demand is real. But, this is a question of supply and demand. By deliberately making the supply low, they are inflating the demand. That's what makes the demand level fake. If the supply was adequate, the lines would have died down by now. Instead you are finding that the same people line up more than once to get a phone. Therefore, the lines are not a reliable indicator of the demand for iphones.

My point is that Apple has not stated that the demand has far exceeded their expectations. I interpret this silence as acknowledgment on Apple's part that the current demand is as expected. As such, they should have been prepared. This is a page right out of Nintendo Wii's marketing book.

19. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Having low supply does not suddenly generate nor does it inflate demand. Quantity demanded of the iPhone has changed because of the dropped price. If, and only if, supply hasn't changed (IE they are still producing at the same rate as the old phone) then we are experiencing a shortage. However I expect that to change soon.

20. WilliamC macrumors newbie

How is this ridiculous? There is no way apple could have predicted the demand would be so high. Heck, you even had people in every forum saying I am not gonna show up till around 5 am or I'll just walk in during my lunch because I don't think demand will be as high as it was for the first. Well guess what it surprised everyone. Apple has actually met the demand to a surprising level. They kept their stores stocked and had daily shipments in most cases. This is unheard of for launches. There is no way to realistically predict just how much demand their will be. You also negelect the fact that once a product goes into production there is only so many they can make, also take into account shipping times. These things aren't made in the US. This also isn't a US launch its a GLOBAL launch so they need to keep everyone else supplied.
    Frankly I am amazed at how well apple is doing.

Unless I am mistaken there was a news article indicating that apple had actually increased production of the iphone to meet the demand increase they expected. Obviosuly this is more than they expected or could handle. A production facility can only produce X units per day. You need to also take that into account.

21. spazattack674 macrumors regular

I just used the online availability tool by changing my timezone, and it seems that more stores have just recently received shipments. I'm not sure how true this is, however, because I called one of my local stores that the online tool said had stock, and they said they were out of stock today.

22. wolfwill23 macrumors member

So now that we're out nation wide, does that mean the next batch will be the second build? Do you think things like light leaks and the yellow screen of death will be fixed?

23. klex macrumors regular

I respectfully disagree. There were a lot of market reports and newspaper articles indicating the high demand for the new phone. Here's three:

http://www.iphonic.tv/2008/07/o2_expects_high_demand_for_iph.html
    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14163
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/b/content/oh/story/business/2008/07/09/ddn070908iphoneweb.html

As such, Apple should have been ready. Also, I'm not sure about the accuracy of your statement regarding daily shipments for launches. I believe that when I purchased my Macbook Pro, Apple were doing daily shipments, since I remembering calling everyday to see whether they had the matte screen in stock.

24. Geffen macrumors 6502

Well unlike the first generation iphone the iphone 3G was launched to several other countries besides the US so Apple is most likely filling all of those orders at the same time, Apple may have underestimated the demand for the iphone 3G, seems as soon as Apple stores get the shipments of iphones their immediately sold to the people waiting in line thats why the stock is depleted daily.

25. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I'm buyin' your angle. I've believed this from 10:00am the day of release. The current shortage and way they "dribble" phone stocks to ATT has just verified it for me.