iPhone 3G replaced with brand new model ... and renewed warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WeegieMac, May 11, 2010.

1. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Ok, so I took my iPhone 3G into the Genius Bar today because of a crack in the headphone socket.

Again, they replaced it no problems and I went away very happy.

When I got home and plugged the iPhone into my Mac, I noticed that the screen I was greeted with was the "Welcome To Your New iPhone" screen asking me to register ... something I'd not seen in my previous refurbs.

I then checked the serial number, and it begins 88 instead of 5K. My first 3G, bought in September 2009, had an 88 serial number, but the two refurbs I'd had since had 5K serial numbers.

After registering, I logged onto the Get Warranty site and entered the serial number of my new iPhone 3G.

The information now reads:

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active
    Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
    Estimated Expiration Date: June 2, 2011

My warranty was due to expire on September 2010, one year after buying it, and the previous two refurbs had the warranty carried over. For some reason though, because this is a brand new phone, it seems I've gained another 12 months of warranty.

Surely the Genius has screwed up ... I take it this will rectify itself when the registration goes through in it's entirety and serial numbers are matched up, etc?

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

New machine, new warranty.

I had my iMac repaired recently by the local Apple approved service centre and received full warranty on all new parts and limited warranty on the machine. Normal procedure.

3. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Whenever I've had my iPhone replaced (or my iPod touch) I was told by the 'Genius' that the replacement device would be covered by a 90-day warranty.

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

5. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

You could have used the quote facility, because if you're replying to me after skimming my original post, then you've answered "no" to the following question:

"Surely the Genius has screwed up ... I take it this will rectify itself when the registration goes through in it's entirety and serial numbers are matched up, etc"?

So ... no it's not going to rectify itself and I'm going to end up with a new 12 month warranty? As of now it's still showing as a warranty ending June 2011 instead of September 2010 as it should be.

I still think once the paperwork works out and the serial numbers line up on their sytem, the warranty will revert back to September 2010. It's a glitch that'll iron itself out, but it's still amusing.

6. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

It's 90 days or the end of your original warranty, whichever is longer for the customer.

So if you go and get your iPhone replaced in the final month of it's warranty, you receive 90 days warranty because it's longer than what you had left on your 12 month limited warranty.

I've read the T&C's more times than I really should in the past day.

7. zacharace macrumors member

I agree; based on your circumstances, 2 June 2011 is such an arbitrary date...11.5 months?

Here's to the glitch continuing, though :p