iPhone 3G says "Tones are not available on this device" and requires iOS 5.0

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kinetickatie, Oct 15, 2011.

1. kinetickatie macrumors newbie

For the love of God iTunes and my iPhone are being absolutely ridiculous. I already can't update any apps because iTunes says my password is incorrect (which it's not and I've tried EVERYTHING to get around this problem), and now that iOS 5.0 is out, I tried to download a new ringtone. The message iTunes gave me? "Tones are not available on this device. A device that can run iOS 5.0 or later is required." Problem is, there IS no iOS 5.0 for the iPhone 3G. Did Apple just back me into a corner and require me to buy an upgraded phone if I ever want to download from iTunes again? Please help!

2. iharvey macrumors newbie

I've been having the same problem and need help too! I've tried everything that I can think of to bypass this message with no luck.does anyone have a suggestion?

3. alittletechy macrumors newbie

Upgrade

I was having the same problem. You will need to upgrade through ITUnes. Once you log on to your ITunes on your computer and connect your phone it should automatically pull in that there's an upgrade for your device. That ought to take care of it.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

OP has an Iphone 3G where the latest firmware is 4.2.1. So, there is no way to upgrade his/her phone pass this.

Your suggestion is only work with 3GS & Iphone 4.

5. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Do you have iTunes 10.5?
    Shame that this is happening to your 3G. Strange because my daughter has a 3G running 3.1.3 and iTunes 10.5 and she isn't getting this message and no OS upgrade reminder. Might be better to create your own tones and drag & drop them into your phone.

6. troycdunn macrumors newbie

Couple of Solutions

I ran into this same problem and here are a couple of solutions.

1. If you have a friend/spouse with an iPhone 4 and the iOS 5, have them download the ringtone for you. Sync their phone to your iTunes. Then, connect your phone to iTunes and copy the song to your phone. Works like a charm.

2. Create the song yourself using one of the ringtone making apps.

These two solutions seem like the only workaround available. Given the age of the iPhone 3G, it's unlikely that Apple is going to get around to fixing this ever.