iPhone 3G Sold From Apple Online Store Hong Kong (Unlocked)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nikiski, Sep 25, 2008.

1. nikiski macrumors regular

Hey all,

Just a quick tip regarding iPhone 3G in Hong Kong. I received a mail from Apple today noting that the iPhone 3G is available for purchase online from the Apple Store.

Look closely and you will find the phrase:

Although the iPhone 3Gs sold with contract are not SIM-locked as required by the laws here, I think it's worth noting that Apple is now selling completely unlocked iPhones without contract and subsidy.

The iPhone 3G are priced at 5,400 and 6,200 Hong Kong Dollars at Apple Online Store Hong Kong, which is located at: http://store.apple.com/hk_tmp_smb_e...hone/family/iphone?cid=AOS-HK-131766-C0007878

It's great news for those folks who would like a completely unlocked iPhone. :)

Attached Files:

2. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

3. Kaushal macrumors member

damn....... :(

i bought my iphone 3G from india for INR 31000 .....whichis about USD 670

and i was planning a HK vacation for next jan

my earlier version of unlocked iphone conked off.......and i could not wait a single day to sell it off and get a new one :p

4. Helianthus macrumors member

Google says 6200 HK Dollars = 798 US Dollars, so I think you did fine.

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

It's worth noting that last time I checked, HK's law doesn't actually say that SIM locks are illegal. Conversely, I believe it says that SIM locks are ONLY permitted on phones sold with a contract, if the carrier so chooses, but that once the subsidy and other contractual obligations are repaid, it must be possible to remove the SIM lock on request.

It may be the case, however, that for convenience's sake, or as a result of competitive pressure, HK carriers might choose not to bother with the SIM lock in the first place.

6. tinfai macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

while I'm not positive it doesn't happen here, I haven't heard of a single occurence of sim locking in hong kong.

7. iphonecode macrumors member

Yes, I agree.
    :D

8. Kaushal macrumors member

6200 HK$ is for the 16 gig version

for the 8 gig its 5400 is 694 USD

and 31000 INR = 667 USD

so not much of a diff

9. amcan12 macrumors member

1. Can it be activated with any carrier or with Hong Kong carrier only?

2. Once activated can it be used in any other country using SIM from such country or is it locked to the carrier who's SIM was used during activation?

Did anyone tried it yet? It is being sold in HK Apple Store since July, thus I hope someone has some experience to report on.

10. nikiski thread starter macrumors regular

I can't remember what the trade laws are, but, for one, DVD players in Hong Kong are sold non region locked as far as I know. =)

11. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

I'm from Hong Kong
    and I must say
    Hong Kong is the best =)

12. markgamber macrumors 6502

China still has a functioning economy.

13. nikiski thread starter macrumors regular

There is a saying that, while US economy is suffering from overspending, Chinese economy is suffering from underspending. :)