Iphone 3G to 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macman312, Dec 21, 2011.

1. macman312 macrumors 6502

If this has already been posted apologies......

Hi All,

Just bought a iphone 4S for my mum. She currently has a iphone 3G and I am trying to sync all her contacts from the 3G to the 4S.I tried syncing and backing up the 3G so my questions are where the ******* does the backup go and why did it copy the contacts on the computer to the phone but not the ones on the phone to the computer. Is there anyway to somehow sync with google contacts or yahoo contacts or whatever as long as it will copy the existing contacts on her phone (as in saved on her phone) and transfer them to her new one. I have tried setting up google contacts under exchange on both phones and I have tried setting up mobile me/icloud on both phones (Same user name). Is there something I have to press to get this to work? ideas?
    thanks for any help in advance

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I just did this over the weekend for my pastor. I had the same problems. The only way I got his contacts moved over was by using the app Bump, and bumping them over. Fortunately, it was able to send all 300 of them at one time.

3. macman312 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't really want to do it manually if I can avoid it

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

At first I dreaded having to manually move over 300 contacts but Bump does it automatically for you over WiFi.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, let's take a step back.

Did you back up her 3G phone to her computer?

Then, when you set up the new phone did you restore from that backup?

Had everything gone right you shouldn't be asking questions because everything should have worked out for you. So we need to figure out what didn't happen. Walk us through what you did.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I know your question is to the OP, but I went through the same thing over the weekend. Pastor's kids tried to get the 4S restored with the 3G data but was only able to get the apps. No contacts, photos or Notes.

I backed up the 3G to iTunes, then took his 4S and tried to restore it, but iTunes only showed the backup's for the 4S made by the kids when they connected it the day before.

I tried again backing up the 3G, made sure iTunes was signed into his account, all the proper settings for back up and syncing were checked and still had the same results.

I ended up downloading the photos from the 3G to the computer (WinXP) and then telling iTunes to point to the folder on the HDD to sync those photos to the 4S.

For his contacts, I used Bump and wirelessly transferred all of them at once - worked great.

For his notes, I was unsuccessful in getting those over. I told him he's going to have to email them from the 3G to himself and then copy them from email on the 4S and paste them into the Notes manually. He only had 57 notes, so it wasn't near as bad as moving 300 contacts manually would have been.

My only theory as to why the 4S wouldn't see the 3G backups is that the iOS versions were too far apart and Apple somehow wouldn't let these things transfer. I forget which version iOS the 3G has, but it is the last version that it would take - which made it dog slow as we all know.

7. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Easiest way to transfer contacts is by using Bump.

Second easiest is setting up Exchange for Gmail on her 3G to pull her contacts to Gmail and then setting up Exchange for Gmail on her 4S to pull back the contacts on her new phone.

If she has a Gmail account already, go with Gmail. If not, use Bump.

DO NOT USE ITUNES BACKUPS TO TRANSFER CONTACTS. JUST USE AN OPTION ABOVE.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Weird. This must be some problem with the 3G, I guess, because I haven't had problems with other models.

I'm still confused why people are saying bump is easier than syncing with GMail...but I guess I'm coming from the perspective that he really should be setting up gmail syncing anyway. So to me Bump seems like a useless extra step. But I guess if it's the only step you do it's not a weird idea.

9. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

It's an option for people that don't trust Google, which lots of people do. Giving every contact you have on your phone to them would give some people a panic attack.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

By "Gmail" I was being generic and meant any email... You know: Yahoo, iCloud, AOL, Hotmail, your own server, etc.

I use that term pretty generically. I don't even use Gmail and I still say it that way. I assumed readers knew there were other email systems available to them and that I didn't need to list them all for them.

11. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

What went wrong when you tried setting up exchange on the 3G? After a short while (30mins at the most in my experienced) all your contacts should've been synced. Then set up the same account on the 4S