iPhone 3G upgraders -> How much louder is the volume than your prior iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anthonymoody, Aug 3, 2008.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

For me, 3G, GPS, new form factor, 16GB size are all "nice" in the new 3G version but not all that important to me. However, the one thing I don't love about my 2.5G iPhone is that when I use the phone it's tough to hear the person, especially if I'm walking outside, even with volume at max.

One aspect of the iPhone 3G that is often touted is the improved sound quality and volume. However, it's usually touted in relation to the speakerphone. I haven't seen anyone directly answer the question - how much louder is the volume when you just hold the phone up to your head? You know, when you use it as "just a phone" - no BT headset, no headphones, etc. Related: does this extend to the ringtone as well?

TIA
    TM

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

As an owner of both 2G and 3G iPhones I can tell you without doubt that the sound quality from the built in head speaker is a lot clearer and louder, I myself noticed this from the very first phone call i made.

Since the speakerphone (which is used by the ringtones) has also received an upgrade I have found it easier to hear, especially when around the house.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

i have no idea bout the ringer, but whenever my brother is like 10 feet away from me on his 3G, i can always hear the other person..

4. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

5. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks guys. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm sold. As soon as i feel comfortable about the whole "cracks" issue I'm getting one.

THanks!!!
    TM

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I can't believe this is still an issue. All three (my two and the girlfriends) iPhones that I've had have had excellent sound from the earpiece. If I'm in a relatively quiet area I usually end up holding it about a foot from my head. As far as the ringer goes, download the commercial ringtone (there's links all over these forums). I have mine set at about half volume and it still scares the shift outta me when it goes off. Not to mention it's professional sounding.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

My original iPhone had pretty low volume, while my wife's was (is) way better (purchased months later). My new 3G is louder than my wife's original.
    She's not interested in an upgrade, FWIW.

8. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

just in case you needed one more affirmation- it is much louder and way more clear.

9. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

You must have later models. We're a 5 iPhone family so we have you there! They were all purchased at full original retail and they all suffer the same, relatively low volume even when at max.

BTW I use the commercial ringtone myself, and even at full volume it's not great, though i agree there's something about that tone that's sort of startling, even at not-so-loud volumes!

TM

10. packetjunkie macrumors regular

Funny thing happened to me. First thing I did was put a plastic protector on the screen. For the first few calls I couldnt even hear the person I was talking to - barely anyways. I was using the speakerphone!

Turns out I was using a touch screen protector and covering up the speaker!

Bought an iPhone protector and, wow, I could hear again.

I'm sure that's not what you were talking about; but I only became aware of it before I was going to return it by seeing someone else post about it here.

11. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

The speaker is an incredible upgrade while the non-speaker volume is also upgraded but not as much as the speaker which is clearer and much louder

It is significant for both though as I am at times annoyed by how low my original iPhone can be at its so-called loudest setting