iPhone 3G (Vodafone UK) keeps having to be rebooted to get GPRS / Edge working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jsgreen89, May 18, 2010.

1. jsgreen89 macrumors newbie

I've had an annoying problem for the last few weeks or so that is driving me crazy. Basically GPRS and Edge data just stops working, and I have to either:

1) Switch on 3G, use it for a second, then switch back to GPRS/Edge.
    2) Reboot the phone

Once i've rebooted the phone it works fine and I can get data access no problems. Then after an hour or so the problem comes back so I have to reboot again..

The GPRS symbol is always there, and under Useage the phone is basically receiving 0kb in while its struggling for access. I've tried doing the "Reset Network Settings", but no luck. For reference i'm on a Vodafone SIM-only contract.

Any ideas?

2. jsgreen89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I think i've made a breakthrough, it seems to be Push email related.

I noticed that while lying in bed, I could hear the mobile interference on the radio all the time, like the phone was constantly sending/receiving data. So I turned Push Email off and it stopped right away.. and low and behold the GPRS data freeze-up problem has also stopped.

I turned PUSH back on, and even though both of my email accounts are up to date, it continuously sends / receives data on GPRS. On the useage screen I can see it ticking up by 2-3kb every few seconds. I really don't get it! Never had this problem until a few weeks ago, grrrrr

So while the solution is to turn Push email off, i'd rather find a more satisfying solution!

3. jsgreen89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved I think! Looking at the Push problem, I dug through the archives and found that somebody suggested deleted the Exchange email account and reinstalling it.

Tried it, and it's worked! GPRS is no longer continuously sending/receiving for no reason. Fingers crossed it holds! :)