Iphone 3g Volume Button fell off out of warranty help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Bettz1, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Bettz1 macrumors regular

Hi all my sisters 3g volume button just fell off last night.Trouble is we got it from our cousin who lives in the Us.The phone has to be jailbroken to work on the Uk networks which means how can i take it to apple? Also its out of warranty as she's had it about a year & half.So can apple replace it?

Is there a simple fix i can do i.e Glue? (WOULD HELP IF I COULD FIND THE BUTTON)

Is there a way to unlock without jailbreaking?

2. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Easy. Have done quite a few of these. It's a very careful glue job. Regards Spencer

3. Bettz1 thread starter macrumors regular

Well we can't find the button so I've had to order a new one off eBay so it looks like I've got to take the iPhone apart which I'm dreading :(

4. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

I plead with you not to take this apart. I have dealt with too many 'bags of bits'. Get a professional to do it. Would you take e.g. Your car or TV apart?

5. BrokeMyi macrumors newbie

Be extremely Carefull taking it apart. We recieve tons of iPhones that have been damaged because the owner decided to take them apart. PLEASE find a video of how to take it apart so that you can be extra careful. Best of luck :)

6. eleven7 macrumors regular

Assuming the 3GS and 3G buttons are of a similar setup, you may not even need to pull it apart. I thought I was going to have to pull my 3GS apart when my button fell off but I found the button in my apartment a month or so later, glued it back in and it's just like new :)

7. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

You are right - you can glue the chrome onto the plastic remains if it is not badly damaged. I have done it once for somebody.

8. iGuy CA macrumors newbie

Hey Mr. gadget geezer,
    I dont see any contact info for you. I was wondering if you could help me with how to clamp and super glue a back housing from the inside.
    Your help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

9. Joe Smoe macrumors newbie

How did you glue the volume button back on

How did you guys glue the volume button back on i just want to know before i touch the super glue

10. Joe Smoe macrumors newbie

How

How exactly did you glue it back on i have been having some trouble glueing it back on because it keeps becoming rigid and you said that you got it to work like new how did you do that

THANKS

11. yac macrumors newbie

I'd like to point out that its still possible to adjust the volume even without actual buttons. You need at least 1mm long nails, so i guess if youre an avid biter, you may need to save one nail for volume-adjusting.

You need some practice finding the buttons with the tip of your fingernail, but its quite easy once you get the hang of it.

Also you mentioned you are already JB, that means you can get sbsettings along with the volume slider. You can also use Activator to map an action to show the Volume slider directly.

However, in games and while making calls sbsettings will usually not activate, so you still need the fingernail trick for this.

Best of luck!