Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nigh70wl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
Hey folks. I've been trolling around the web for a few days now trying to find the solution to this problem, I've read a hundred threads, and the answer still entirely escapes me. I've tried everything that I can think of, and almost everything that other people could think of.

The situation is thus:

I have an iPhone 3 with 4.2.1, carrier is AT&T 9.0, 5.15.04 firmware. It was given to me by a friend after my last (contract) phone died, and I got a GoPhone SIM, jailbroke/unlocked with redsn0w/ultrasn0w, activated the SIM using an IMEI from another (non-iPhone) cell which I found online, not sure the type of phone, registered for service online, and had myself a working smartphone with voice/text. Great.

But, of course I'm a dumbass, and I've never had a smartphone before, so I was unaware of the way in which apps will drain battery life if left open. I woke up one morning to find that my phone had died. No problem, right, I'll just plug it in and it'll be fine. Nope, **** you, no service. I messed with it for a few hours, switching airplane mode on/off, resetting the network settings, re-loading ultrasn0w, rebooting it, everything. Out of nowhere it started working again - I am still unsure as to whether I did something that fixed it, or whether something else was going on.

Okay, so, of course I forgot about the apps again, phone dies again. This time it's been... 3 days, 4 days? I've since done everything that I did before to try and fix it; I restored the phone to its original OS, jailbroke it, unlocked it, inserted the SIM, still no service. I'm not particularly stupid and I've always been good at isolating variables in troubleshooting technology, so I don't think it's an obvious quick fix, but maybe it is, I'm stumped.

Can anyone shed some light on what's going on?

Last edited:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hey folks. I've been trolling around the web for a few days now trying to find the solution to this problem, I've read a hundred threads, and the answer still entirely escapes me. I've tried everything that I can think of, and almost everything that other people could think of.

The situation is thus:

I have an iPhone 3 with 4.2.1, carrier is AT&T 9.0, 5.15.04 firmware. It was given to me by a friend after my last (contract) phone died, and I got a GoPhone SIM, jailbroke/unlocked with redsn0w/ultrasn0w, activated the SIM using an IMEI from another (non-iPhone) cell which I found online, not sure the type of phone, registered for service online, and had myself a working smartphone with voice/text. Great.

But, of course I'm a dumbass, and I've never had a smartphone before, so I was unaware of the way in which apps will drain battery life if left open. I woke up one morning to find that my phone had died. No problem, right, I'll just plug it in and it'll be fine. Nope, **** you, no service. I messed with it for a few hours, switching airplane mode on/off, resetting the network settings, re-loading ultrasn0w, rebooting it, everything. Out of nowhere it started working again - I am still unsure as to whether I did something that fixed it, or whether something else was going on.

Okay, so, of course I forgot about the apps again, phone dies again. This time it's been... 3 days, 4 days? I've since done everything that I did before to try and fix it; I restored the phone to its original OS, jailbroke it, unlocked it, inserted the SIM, still no service. I'm not particularly stupid and I've always been good at isolating variables in troubleshooting technology, so I don't think it's an obvious quick fix, but maybe it is, I'm stumped.

Can anyone shed some light on what's going on?

Charge it on the wall charger overnight.
Then if it turns on, restore it.
Sounds like your battery might be worn out.

nigh70wl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
Charge it on the wall charger overnight.
Then if it turns on, restore it.
Sounds like your battery might be worn out.

sorry, I wasn't clear; the battery died because I allowed it to. my problem is that I do not have service after plugging it in and turning it back on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.