iPhone 3G. Was given to me.. now what?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by missdanik, Mar 15, 2013.

1. missdanik macrumors newbie

My mom gave me her old iPhone 3G and said if I could fix, I could have it. It was stuck in recovery mode for months, took me a while but it's fixed. None of the apps that I want to install work as Apple has udated the software for the newer models of iPhone so it's virtually useless to me.

I used sn0wbreeze (sp?) and restored it to the latest version for the 3G. I don't really care too much about the phone but I'd hate to destroy it.

I want to go back to sn0wbreeze and try and create a firmware for the iPhone 5's latest software update in hopes that I can use all the apps that I wish to use.

How much would that screw up my phone? I have no problem in doing it, I just don't want more problems than I can handle.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The latest firmware for the 3G is 4.2.1 you can't go beyond that.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You're not installing anything past what was officially made for te phone. You simply aren't. While I suppose it's technically possible, if you have to ask here, it's not getting done. I'm not saying this to be mean, in saying this because you would have to have wxtensice coding knowledge and do this yourself. Nobody of consequence is working on anything like this and therefore you won't find a downloadable package to get the job done.

You can essentially use it as an iPod touch, or even as a phone that is equipped with Internet, just not with virtually any of the apps out there. It's a shame apple doesn't allow you to download earlier versions apps, but it is what it is.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sell it on eBay, I bet u can get a cool $100. Some people in eBay can't afford an iPhone, so anything iPhone to say that they have an iPhone they will fall... am guessing. Some will use if as iPod? Make VOIP calls?

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

I agree. Sell it on eBay. Might get around $100

6. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Use it as a backup phone or iPod. You could also jailbreak it and install apps that way.

7. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The iPhone 3G is approaching the five year mark since it was released. It's really hard to believe, but five years for a cellphone is unimaginable. All of the stock applications will run as they always have. If you use any social networking you still have access to the mobile websites if the applications don't support the latest firmware. Other than that don't expect much more.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Pretty insane.
    For that reason, I'd just sell it off and buy a newer device.

9. Solver macrumors 6502a

The best and easiest answer I know of to locate earlier apps that are still available is to use VintApps which is available in the Apple app store.
    It is the only app finder for Apple's iOS that makes it easy to discover and install available apps on these earlier iOS devices. Even though there are thousands of apps available for earlier devices, these are not the latest greatest. Once an vendor updates their app past the maximum iOS in your device it becomes unavailable.
    I wrote this 99 cent app for this issue so I may seem biased.
    https://www.facebook.com/VintApps313