iPhone 3GS - 3.0.1 - 6hrs 3G constant surfing, 7hrs 30 with WiFi? Should I replace?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hamzab, Oct 6, 2009.

1. hamzab macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I've had search for this and couldn't really find something on WiFi times, all I know is, is that Apple states 5 hours surfing time on 3G and 9 hours surfing time on WiFi.

Well, as per title of this thread, I get around 6 hours of constant 3G surfing, this includes streaming a lot of youtube music vids, I don't really have an iTunes library so I use Youtube for music. I was very happy with this time as I get good standby usage as well, jsut over 1 day and 2 hours before the battery is complety konked out.

However, I ran a test today for Wifi, seeing if I could get 9 hours. I charged the phone overnight, got up this morning, and went to college.
    My 3G was off, don't use Push/email or anything, brightness at 50% with Auto brightness off, 45mins of iPod us, 5-10 texts, 3 two minute calls. So, as I speak, I'm left with exactly 50% battery life and just under 4 hours usage. But the weird thing is, as I didn't have 3G on, I didn't use Safari/Youtube for the WHOLE day. I have 4 hours usage with JUST WiFi on, not actually browsing, whilst at college/commuting it said "Not Connected"

Now my issue is this, had I been using Safari, surely the battery life would be worse off? (I.E, less battery life left and poetentially less usage time)

For the remaining 50% I'm going to use the Internet over WiFI here at home. Should I get another 4 - 5 hours?

The iPhone is 12 days old, should what I have said/experienced above warrant a replacement? I know I can get one if I ring up Apple as Im still in the 14 day period.

Please help guys.

Thanks.

HamzaB

2. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Apple stating such times really is kinda useless for us as consumers. Cos we will all be viewing different websites. Doing different things. Like for instance YouTube is going to use more battery than say BBC or sky. Cos YouTube has alot more stuff going on on the page. So 7:30hrs really isn't that bad. Using the iPhone with wifi on but not utitilising it in surf time doesn't use as mch battery. Your right- one of the reasons I turn it off when I'm travelling or not using it.

I think 50% after 7 or so hours is quite good. But as I said. It really does depend on what pages your viewing.hope that clears up your issues. Although probably not.

3. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

You are getting good battery life. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

I agree with JRoDDz -- your battery life isn't bad.

Apple (and other manufacturers) always post a battery life that virtually nobody can ever get themselves.

If you want to see the craziness Apple went through to get the long battery life on those tests, check out this page:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/battery.html

5. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, but I get 50% of battery life with wifi on, not doing anything with it, as in no pages loaded, mostly in standby

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

How many bars of EDGE did you have during this test?

7. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Near enough full, maybe dropped one or two sometimes. I don't think it was edge as I never got the 'E' just a small 'o'

Also, I have 37% remaining now, when I just pressed the home button and slid to unlock it showed I had 40%, in the space of 10 seconds it has lost 3%!

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Even though you didn't make any calls, your phone still has to communicate with the tower. If you don't have a very strong signal to the tower, the phone has to use more power to stay in touch. This can cause the battery to drop even when you're not using the phone yourself. Doesn't sound like your case, though.

Turn off the battery %. It will drive you crazy. It's notorious for bouncing around like that.

9. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

You're right, this batt percentage is making me near mad!

But if I leave wifi on, is it kinda the same as the phone is constantly searching for a wifi base station. Is that true even if the screen is off as in I've presses the lock button?

And in regards to my battery, is it underperforming, normal or over-performing.
    I feel it's over performing for 3g performance. With a day at standby it gets 6hours 30, Im sure without the standby I would get at least 7 hours of constant browsing on 3g.

Maybe it's the same for wifi, I have 1 day 2 hours standby, 5 hours 30 usage and 25% on the battery remaining, the battery also depletes slower. So maybe without the big standby I would get around 8-9 hours.

Also, I've heard you can change the batteries on these things for bigger ones? Is this risky etc? Should I do it when the warranty expires?

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Settings > General > Wi-Fi > Turn "Ask to Join Networks" Off

11. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

If not already done, put the iPhone into Airplane mode, turn back on the wlan radio (as it automatically turns off when in Airplane mode). Also turn off the GPS radio in settings.

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

He doesn't need to turn off the GPS, the GPS is only in use when we uses app with location features, the GPS isn't running when the phone is in standby.

13. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought by doing this it makes the iPhone even more active as it is constantly searching then asking you wether to join.

My GPS/ location settings is off. If you keep it on they are watching you! Well they are anyway lol. So If I leave GPS on it won't effect battery life whilst in standby, only drains battery whilst using maps, compass etc, is this correct?

Also, what is the point if putting it in airplane mode, I won't be able to recurve messages, calls etc.

And could someone tell me wether my battery is ok?

Right now as I type this on iPhone I have recieved the 20% warning with 1 day 2 hours standby and 5hrs 40 usage.

If I can squeeze another 2 hours in 2 percent I'll be happy, if not, I'm ringig AppleCare tomorrow and getting my brand new replacement as I'm in the two week period. Am I over-acting?

14. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Someone did tell you, but of course it wasn't the answer you wanted so you continued on. So here you go the battery is terrible take it back, take it back now don't walk, run. There is that the answer you wanted?

15. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Why you waste your own iPhone battery life to post this beats me, and more importanty you've wasted some of mine.

Please post helpful messages.
    Thank you

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

No, if that setting is "on" then the iPhone is constantly searching for Wi-Fi. If it's "off" it's not, so it helps the battery.

Exactly. Having Location Services On doesn't make a difference in your battery if you don't use apps that use the GPS.

I think you are over reacting, the battery seems fine to me. Most people barely get through a day without having to charge their iPhones.

17. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I used my laptop and it's plugged in so no battery time was wasted by that or any other post. Someone already said your battery is fine, which it is, but that doesn't satisfy the person fishing for someone to validate their own beliefs. If you think the battery is bad despite being told that its good take it back to Apple.

18. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Same here. i leave wifi off now, generally, and surf over 3G. I think the wifi aerial is a big battery drainer.

Having said that, your battery life sounds pretty normal to me. You might get one that's worse if you exchange it.

19. rcarranza macrumors member

People have helped you but not given you the answer you want.

Your battery is fine. Actually pretty good.

FYI if you have WiFi switched on then it will always be searching for a connection whether there is one or not. This uses battery life. I'm guessing when you went to college you had WiFi switched on but weren't in a WiFi zone between your home and classes? Then at these times your iPhone will be constantly searching for a WiFi signal.

If you want a fair test then switch off all other major battery draining features i.e. switch to Airplane Mode, then leave your iPhone in a place where it will always be connected to WiFi. Then you'll have a better idea of your battery condition.

As it stands right now, your battery looks pretty good.

20. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that, so you think there's no point replacing? I'm sure I have a good battery as today, I've used it for just under 2hours straight just 3g Internet and iPod at the same time, nothing else, , standby time is at 9hours, and it's only taken 24% battery life out of it. So by that logic I'll get over 7hours 45 with 3g and iPod playing at the same time.

I get a bit more with just wifi but that's ok, Id rather hav better 3G time as I use that much more than wifi, I'm sure with a mix I can get around 9-10 hours usage, will post back with results this evening. Thanks for help so far

21. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

You know you also could have searched the forums for "Battery" and found the OFFICIAL thread on this?

Instead we all see another battery thread.

:cool:

And your battery is fine BTW. If your last phone was a dumb phone you'll realize that you go through battery faster on smartphones. You can always turn off your Wifi unless you are at a hotspot. That's what I do. (I am jailbroken and have SBSettings so it's really easy to switch on and off)

22. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

As I did state in my first post, I did try looking for other threads, all I found was "Post your Iphone battery Life thread"

Today I ran another test. WiFi off, Brightness at just under 50%, Auto-Brightness off, No push/fetch etc not emailing kinda person, location off, just 3G on.

It charged till 100% My day started at 08:00GMT

I currently have 25% battery left. Exactly 5 Hours Usage, just under 16hours standby.

The whole 5 Hours was surfing on 3G and listening to iPod whilst surfing. I sent a few emails physically, actually logged onto hotmail.com, not using push etc. Also, can someone help me on this, If inbetween commuting in London for college, at least a quarter of my journey so about 15mins, the iPhone is constantly changing from 3G to "o" to E, I think that sucks some juice out of it. With the 3G constant, I get about 5mins per %, but when the Battery reaches past the 50% mark, I get 3mins per %. Is this normal
    I think another 25% should give me at least another Hour and a half, so Total usage should be 6 Hours 30mins and Standby at 18Hours 30mins
    Is this good for a final time with how I use my iPhone (mentioned above)

Overall I'm happy about the 3G time, but I've seen people on the Post your iPhone battery time get really good stats, but when you think about, if my iPhone gets 7hours 30 with Wifi, I don't know how these phones get 10hrs usage and 2 day standbys with 3G on Wifi On, Push on, Location etc... part of me think's their telling Porkies!

I've rang Applecare already, told them I'm not happy about not achieving 9hours Wifi life, I told them I'm going to keep it for another week, and If my battery life doesnt improve, (some people have said having more charge cycles increases battery life, I've had about 10-12 so far as this iPhone is exactly 14 days old) then I'm ringing again for a Brand new replacement, Refurbs always come cracked.

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

How does someone surf the web for 5 hours straight on a phone?? I can use it to look up a few quick things or to pass the time while waiting somewhere, but 5 hours straight? Just couldn't do it.

Also, I think that your battery sounds absolutely fine. 26 hours of standby and nearly 6 hours of usage? That sounds very good to me. Some people will just never be happy.

24. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not hard, plus I was doing it for the purposes of testing it.

Do you guys think I should upgrade to 3.1/.2? Im on 3.0.1 now? I'm hearing that the recent 3.1.2 update hasn't really solved the Battery issue.