iphone 3gs 4.2.1 FW,bb 05.15.04 how to unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kiran269, Jan 3, 2011.

1. kiran269 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I have an iphone 3gs 8gb 4.2.1 FW and baseband is 05.15.04.
    Now i am in india i can not make calls or receive call from my iphone with local sim.I need to unlock my iphone is it possible if yes ,what to do? and i have Mac pc with me.

Regards,
    kiran.k

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

To unlock on 4.2.1 you have to upgrade your baseband to 6.15.00. And since you have a newer 3GS the jailbreak will be a tethered one.

All you need to know about the jailbreak/unlock is here: www.blog.iphone-dev.org

3. adagio macrumors member

I also have a 3GS with 4.2.1 and baseband 05.15.04, but I was under the impression that the 6.15.00 baseband would break the GPS. Will this definitely happen? a 50% risk? 5%risk? or am I completely wrong?

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

you are correct! only option though right now if you want to unlock. about 90+% you will loose GPS al the risk in this thread read before doing. but again there is no other option right now. in a month or two or a year who knows.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1165368

5. adagio macrumors member

Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait, as I want to be able to use the phone as a sat nav.

Have you heard of ineedjailbreak.com? They have a website that says they can break the carrier lock on any iOS device. They have a facebook page that's been taking comments for at least 6 months, so they don't look like a complete rip off...

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

go ahead and try it discussed this with you in another post same exact post was made by you.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1136476

7. adagio, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

adagio macrumors member

Yes, you had not posted to that other thread when I first did.

I agree these people are unlikely to be able to do something the Dev-Team haven't. I'm not so worried about the $20, my bank will refund that if they are a scam, my concern is that at best they are using the ipad baseband and that would blow my GPS.

I think I'll wait until people have had a chance to have a good look at iOS5, hopefully there will be a potential exploit in that.

Thanks for responding

8. giffut macrumors 6502

Get ...

... a Gevey SIM Imposer and a SIM/MicroSIM adapter - the Gevey works with the iPhone 3Gs, too. No need to half brick your iPhone applying the iPad baseband.

9. adagio, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

adagio macrumors member

Thanks for this, I'd never heard of the Gevey sim. I took a look at the website www.gevey.com, and they state there that it only unlocks Baseband 1.59, 2.10, 3.10.1, 4.10, 4.10.1 As far as I know, the software only solutions from devteam will unlock these for free, and anyway, I have baseband 5.15.04. So it seems this is no good for me? They also state they unlock iOS 4.3.3 though, and AFAIK this would have a much later baseband, so I'm kind of confused. The website is all very vague about what it's actually doing.

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

The 3GS gevey is only for earlier basebands. You would have to upgrade to the iPad baseband in order to unlock your 3GS.

11. adagio macrumors member

Yes, but that would break the GPS, as we discussed above.

So the gevey chip can't do anything the dev teams software solution does for free then?? (not for me at least with my 5.15.04 baseband)

The gevey site also states they unlock iOS 4.3.3, which has a baseband of 5.16.02, so I'm very confused.

12. giffut macrumors 6502

13. adagio macrumors member

14. giffut macrumors 6502

15. adagio macrumors member

I emailed applenbackberry (the official distributor) and they were very clear that that the card would not work with a 3GS. I have read blogs that suggest differently, but I can't see why they would tell me not to buy from them if it was going to work.

I think I will post another thread on here and ask if anyone has personal experience unlocking a 3GS with a Gevey. The link you sent indicates they can be very cheap (£5 delivered to me here in the UK ), but I have also read warnings about 'knock off' versions that can overheat etc. So if I'm going to do it, I'll do it with the official chip from the official distributor, no point risking damaging an expensive phone for the sake of saving a few pounds.

16. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Any updates on ability to unlock 5.14.04? I'd really like to be abel to use my older 3gs abroad.

17. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

First, thanks for bringing back a 5 months old thread :D

Second, there is still no update regarding the baseband you have on your phone. The only option for you is to go with the Ipad baseband route.

18. tivoboy macrumors 68030

thanks

thanks, but there really is no need to thank ME it was my pleasure.

;)

19. abddba, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

abddba macrumors newbie

HAve u finally unlocked ur iphone now? , bcos i also have the 4..2.1 and I want to unlock the iphone without losing the gps, If so pls put the steps u ve done

20. adagio macrumors member

Only just spotted your message. AT&T are now unlocking phones themselves!

21. ksl82 macrumors newbie

22. adagio macrumors member

Why risk it?

AT&T are unlocking (out of contract) phones now with a simple call to their freephone number, so why would anyone risk using the iPad baseband?

23. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

It is 100 % you will lose the GPS.
    You should also know that installing the iPad baseband is forever.
    There is no undo.

----------

What you have is cell tower triangulation.
    Install a true GPS only app, it will fail at launch.

----------

AT&T has changed their unlock policy, they are now requiring you be a current customer to get any iPhone unlock.
    Thread starter must have someone with an active A&T wireless account call for him.