iPhone 3GS, 45-60 mins in hot tub - MY STORY

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Racktacular, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Racktacular macrumors regular

The date of the event was November 18th, 2009. It was a balmy 82 degrees in Farjardo, Puerto Rico where I was on vacation. The bell struck midnight and my wife and I decided to enter the hot tub. I patted down the two front pockets of my suit and felt nothing. Getting into the hot tub, felt great. We basked in all the warm goodness the hot tub offered for at least 30 minutes, perhaps even 45.

A little before 1 am, we entered the hotel room. I knew my iPhone battery was low, so I searched her purse for my precious iPhone. Blind grabbing turned into a focus searching within the bag. Hysterics started to kick in as, one by one, I started to take everything out. Nothing. Searched the floor. Nothing. HOLY SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS BATMAN!! The hot tub!

I grab for the room card, threw on shoes and ran out of the room towards the scene of the crime. Upon arrival, the bubbles from the hot tub made the bottom of the tub opaque. I reached to the turn off the bubbles and slowly, a picture of the crime, started to develop. Face down, on the bottom of a 4 foot grave, lies my dear iPhone. I jump into the water as quickly as I could and picked up the phone and started to dry it off hastily with my shirt. Once dried, I had to check to see if still had a heartbeat. Pressed the power button. Dead. I walked back to the hotel room with my head pointed to the floor. Saddened. Devastated.

Once upon arriving back in the room, I shook the living crap out of the my baby. Water, blood if you will, spewed out from every pore, every hole it had. Under the screen you could see the distal water markings, evidence. Once no more water exited the body, I set the iPhone down on the counter of the bathroom and propped a hairdryer about 6-8 inches from it. Turned the hairdryer on HIGH speed, with the WARM setting, not wanting damage it from heat. I pointed the bottom of the phone at the powerful stream. I let it sit. 20 minutes later I pointed the top of the iPhone at the heat as to dry from the other entrance. 20 minutes later. I was tired. Didn't want to leave the hairdryer on overnight. For some reason, in my wifes purse there was 1 silica gel packet. Better than nothing. I took the hotel ice bag put my iPhone along with the silica packet in it. Squeezing out the air and wrapping it tight, I lay down to sleep. A tear hit my pillow.

The next morning. I apply my heat via hairdryer. Both sides. Probably about an hour. Went to one of the restaurants and asked for a ziplock of uncooked rice. They obliged. Wrapped a bag full of rice (enough to completely cover the phone), along with my 1 precious silica packet and gently buried my iPhone deep within those Asian pebbles. Let out all the air. Tied it up. And crossed my fingers.

November 21st, 2009. I got home late the night before. This was the day that I try to awake my prized possession from the dead. I knew my chances were slim. Reading stories on how 1 minute in water will kill an iPhone, I didn't have much faith that mine would live after almost an hour in a hot tub. Nevertheless, I proceeded.

Unwrapped the bag and removing the iPhone from within, my heart racing. Plugged the power cord into my macbook, just to give it as much juice as possible. Pressed the 'on' button. Now I wait. The screen is black, nothing happening. Tears welling up within my eyes. And then suddenly...the apple logo! Oh that mighty logo. Took a deep breath and watched the phone. It was fighting. It wasn't going to go down without a tussle. Time seemed to pass at a snails pace. 20 seconds. 30. 45. And then...my home screen. HOLY SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS BATMAN! No way! Am I dreaming? I pinched myself. It hurt immensely. I wasn't dreaming! I slide that bar to the right as quickly as I could. My contacts! My apps! Everything was in order! I made a phone call. Perfect. Played a song. Perfect. Everything was intact! A miracle.

The only thing out of place is that there seems to be water markings under the glass. Actually, it's kind of cool. It gives the phone a 3-D appearance actually. It's like if you took the world map and laid it beneath the glass. Doesn't really interfere with anything or make it difficult to use. Would I rather it not be there? Sure. But my word, what a beautiful sight to see!

I thought I would share my story with all of you and if this story helps only 1 person save their iPhone from imminent death, then I'm glad I took the time to write this.

Godspeed.

- Rack

2. strike1555 macrumors 6502

I really like the way this story was written. Much more interesting than the typical water stories.

Glad your phone works, im not sure but over time I think the screen water will also dry out? I think it's the last part to dry.

3. justinwebb macrumors regular

great story and loved reading it, glad you got it working again!!!

4. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Great story, I'm glad your iPhone works again. The water will probably dry out from under the screen eventually.

5. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Waht are you doin' wearing a suit on vacation ?

6. bmstrong macrumors 6502

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Not too much different than the normal water-damage scenario, but it was written so well I couldn't stop reading it.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

Great save of your iphone, but you will now never get Apple to do any warranty repair for future issues, as your water sensors have been triggered.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Brilliant story in both outcome and diction! Well done on both counts. :)

10. dazey macrumors 6502

I drowned my macbook pro (literally poured water out of it), it recovered but the screen marks have never gone completely.

11. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Great story. I mean, sorry about the ordeal, but way to share in a fun way.

12. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

It's a Miracle!

Wow, glad you did the smart thing. I had my own 'accident' with an iPod... hastily I tried running it... alas, I was forcing it's death.

Drying it out, even over doing it, is the route to go!

It's the iPhone Jesus. lol

13. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

I would sell it, but thats me. shocked its working

14. ed423 macrumors member

ed423

dude..thats amazing. i mean, ****. well written paragraph man, u shuodl write more iphone novels. LOl

15. army91c macrumors 6502a

Pics of the phone... and wife.

After joining the "I dropped my phone in my own piss club" as Dane Cook put it, I submerged my i in alcohol then dried it out. Mine to worked after a few days in rice.... I also had the water marks under the screen. I did however swap it for a $199 oow i (3g). I have been fortunate enough not to have dropped my 3gs in any offending liquid.

16. MasterDev macrumors 65816

Super well written! I usually just ignore these stories, but I started reading and kept on reading.

I'm glad it still works!

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Enjoyed reading your story.

Glad that it's working now. :)

18. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

holy shiitake mushrooms batman what a story! couldn't resist :D

Awesome story and very well written. I felt like I was with you every step of the way. I've never had anything happen this indepth but water damage is the worst kind. It's not the same if you smash the screen cos you know you can fix that but water is like the iPhone's cryptonite! I guess your iPhone had its weetabix that morning :p

19. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies my fellow iPhone companions/companionettes. After I got it working I decided to give it a shot and waltz into an Apple store to see if they would replace the phone for free. I know, I know- never gonna happen- but I felt lucky after 'my precious' raised up from the dead.

Me: "Woke up this morning and my screen started leaking."
    Apple dude: "Strange bruh, looks like water damage." He shrugged.
    Me: "Water damage?" Playing dumb, "my iPhone is scared of water."
    Apple dude: "Perhaps you left it outside and it rained."
    Me: "Not that I can recall."
    Apple: "See that pink color, that means that there was damage."
    Me: "Am I screwed?"
    Apple dude: "Yes."
    Me: "Thanks. Bye."

So I wasn't quite THAT lucky, however, 5 days later my screen completely dried out and besides for the water sensor, you would never know it took a hot shower and lived.

20. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You feel proud of your attempted fraud?

21. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Oh no! someone tried to 'defraud' a multi-billion dollar company of $500. The horror. Who cares? Get over yourself.

OP: Glad the iPhone is working and truely a remarkable story. Was always worth a try getting it replaced though.

22. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

great story! i really enjoyed how you told it :p

i'm glad your iphone is happy and okay :)

23. mikereith macrumors newbie

You can also drown it in a washing machine & it'll work!

My wife put her iPhone into our washing machine and let it do the full cycle (unintentionally), and the rice trick worked.

We left it a week before trying to resuscitate - and it returned to life.... also with the water-stamped background which is very attractive!

24. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I have a water damaged iPod Touch with the same water marks on the screen. It looks like a nice cloud in the bottom half, I quite like it :D

25. AeroUK macrumors 6502