iPhone 3GS - big power issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skitty, Jan 8, 2012.

1. skitty macrumors newbie

HI all.

I have been having some problems with my iPhone 3GS, especially with battery /power.

The phone started having problems about 2 months ago. It started to
    turn off and reboot at random. I did some research and decided to do an update (iso5 and changing the baseband to 06.15.00). This made no difference.

The issues continued and became so server that I decided to get a new battery and install myself (as the warranty was up).

The phone worked fine for a few hours before the issue came back. It has got worse and worse. The battery charge % kept on changing after each reboot. I decided to plug it into the mains power and let it charge for a few hours, during this time it continued to reboot.

Now the phone will not power up at all unless it is plugged into the mains power, not even when it is connected to the USB port on my laptop. The phone no longer connects to itunes or gets recognized by my laptop (no beeping from w7).

As the phone no longer boots without mains power, I am assuming some hardware issue. So I just stripped the phone again. I checked all of the connectors (which were all fine), ran a multimeter to test the battery continuity voltage (2.8v) - which I believe is acceptable - and tested the 2 main fuses on the logic board, which were fine.

When the mains power is connected, It boots fine (but restarts every 5 mins). When it does power up, it now keeps showing the battery as 100% charged!

I am now confused.
    Could this be an issue with the logic board / battery sensor or power amps???

If anyone has any suggestions as what this issue could be, I would love to hear them, otherwise I fear there may be an iPhone going down the rubbish shoot very soon :confused:

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Higher baseband isn't better. The 3GS isn't suppose to run on the 6.15.00 update ... that is for iPads only.

Probably not a cause of the issues you are having though.

3. skitty thread starter macrumors newbie

4. volvoman macrumors newbie

Could you try an i tunes restore, within the five minuites that it will stay booted.if sucessfull this might help to rule-out a software issue

5. skitty thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately the iphone is now completely dead, except when plugged into the wall - where it reboots every few mins.

This is now at a worse state than before the new battery - im thinking that it may be a duff battery. At least I could get it to boot on its own accord before the battery change, and get iTunes to find it.

I will put the old battery back in tomorrow and see if this enables me to use iTunes to do the reboot (although as i did previously state, this has already been done once!). Worth another try though.