iPhone 3GS capable of 720p, 1080p hi-def playback (maybe)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patrickdunn, Aug 20, 2009.

1. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

This is probably why the iPhones exploded, playing 1080p probably overheats them!

From iLoung:
    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/iphone-3gs-capable-of-720p-1080p-hi-def-playback/

I would love to see this work out, it would be sweet.

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The iPhone screen resolution is 480x320. Exactly what benefit do you think you'd get from viewing a Hi-def video scaled down to that size?

3. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Video out.

Also, not having to re-encode videos to put on your device.

4. patrickdunn thread starter macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Hopefully they come up with a TV dock of some sort that would allow this. Since it would be docked, battery life would not be an issue.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I suppose. But I still don't see the attraction. 1080p files are huge, and iPod resolution is plenty for video out to a standard def TV. I suppose you might carry one hi-def movie with you to watch on your buddy's TV, but wouldn't it be easier to carry the blu-ray disc?

6. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

ya ... 1080p videos seem not that useful (size and what not), but 720p could be cool. Besides, I've be *very* surprised if the 3Gs could actually handle decoding and playing back a 1080p video.

I guess, more than anything, this would be 'keeping up with the Joneses' and the ZuneHD playing back 720p vids over the dock.

Personally, I wouldn't sacrifice the space on my 16 gigger (I barely have enough room for pics + music + podcasts + apps as it is), but not having to re-encode a video would be pretty convenient when needed.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I was just doing some figuring and typed "4 Mbps * 120 m" into Google instead of "4 Mbps * 120 min." The result? 62 914 560 m Bytes / s. Never heard of a meter-byte per second before!

8. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Good point!

9. Cask Guest

Wanna bet that this functionality will be unlocked on Sept when an iPod touch with similar functionality is released?? It would be capable of outputting HD video using the component cable. Apple did the same with the 1st iPhone, since at first it was sold without video output capabilities advertised, but when Apple released the iPod touch they unlocked the capability on the iPhone.

10. Cask Guest

There are many of us with HDTV's but without Blu-rays, for us this capability would be useful.

11. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

Or how about simply putting the chip into a new AppleTV?

12. patrickdunn thread starter macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn