iphone 3gs does not turn off/on after "erase all contents and settings"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by egoi, Jan 31, 2011.

1. egoi macrumors newbie

guys, I need help on this..

my iphone displays "no wifi" in the Wi-Fi settings. I tried some steps from other forums which says try to reset the settings. I did it once and it worked, i got my wifi back on, but then days later, it went out again so i tried another step which is to "erase all contents and settings" from the reset settings menu.. it took several hours like almost the whole day... i realized it's not stopping from what it was doing.. it's like the apple icon was just there the whole time for more than 6-7hrs already so i tried to turn it off by pressing the sleep/wake button but it did not appear to turn the phone off/on...

what should i do?... please help... anyone with the same problem also?

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Charge it via the wall charger for four to five hours.
    Connect to itunes and let us know what happens. If you don't see anything,
    put your phone into DFU.

FYI: for future reference, you avoid "erase all contents". If you need to erase your iphone, do it through itunes via restore. Less pain.

3. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Is "restore to factory settings" as secure as "erase all contents"? I thought the latter involved several passes to overwrite data.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I have no idea which one is the most "secure", I only know that if you use the one in the phone that your chances are very good that you will wind up with a bricked phone just as the OP in this post did. I saw at least a half dozen over the weekend right here on this forum, all caused by the same thing.

5. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

OK thanks. Reason I asked is that I'm getting an old 3GS unlocked by Orange (service provider in the UK) so I can sell it, and still debating which is the most secure way to wipe all data.